Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD indicator help, Gen 2 BRAT

I'm trying to wire my BRAT back to where everything works.

I can't seem to get the 4WD light to come on in the gauge cluster. When I put in in 4WD lo the "LO" icon lights up.

I have the black switch that connects to the 4WD shifter and it tests good, but I'm not sure if it does anything. I cant seem to find the switch for the lo gears anywhere. I wonder if the 4WD indicator switch is close by?

Am I looking in the wrong place? Does this switch do anything? Where is the 4WD indicator switch?

2802132320101509528S500x500Q85.jpg

that switch is supposed to mount so the backstop on the lever pushes it in, that then light is supposed to go on for 4wd. the lo is built into the trans, no external switch for lo.

The black switch is only to indicate 4wd....now....since the switch is undone from the hole it mounts in, can you push the plunger in, and see if the light comes on for 4wd.?

Yeah I wonder if the bulb is burned as well. I figured that the plunger "out" meant it would be on all the time. Pushing it in and out does not do anything.

I'll test the wiring and then pull out the cluster to check the bulb.

thanks guys, really big help so far

Yep, bulb was burnt. I was able to harvest another plunger from the junkyard. Now the light works, but I have so much slop in my 4WD shifter that it still doesn't show me in 4WD when I shift.

Well, at least that's an easier one to fix :)