Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86' BRAT: Guess the connectors game!

All these are under the steering wheel and looking up from the floorboards. This is out of an 86' BRAT. Oddly enough I do not have a computer. My BRAT does not have power steering, power mirrors, or AC. Still I'd like to know what the connectors go to. (I might upgrade)

If you know, just give me the number from the pic and what the connector goes to :)

2568485100101509528S600x600Q85.jpg

2609317070101509528S600x600Q85.jpg

More to come, I got wires under the passenger seat too!

i was wondering the same thing about the 2 green connecters as i have put them together and the car does some crazy stuff! alot of clicking.... cel flashing...and the fans starting high speed then shutting down in a loop. even with the car running..... the others i might be able to help if i look under my dash....i have a 95 lego..... not sure if itll be the same. are you trying to hook up the ecu? or just wondering what they all go to?

In the future I want to convert to Fuel injection and need an ECU, but for now I just want to figure out where all the loose cables go. I have some things that aren't working, (no chime at all, seat belt warning, door indicators and so on) so maybe these will fix that.

BTW You're right about the green connectors, I hooked that up and shorted out the horn fuse!

I would say that the green connectors causing your short *normally* should be connected. Probably a short in the switch or someone has monkeyed with the ignition lock, etc.

Most of the rest of the connectors you labeled should not be connected to anything - manufacturers build far fewer harnesses than they do cars with different accesories and features - if you have a "feater poor" model then there will be dozens of connectors throughout the harness that are simply not used. For example - at least one or perhaps a couple of the connectors under your column are for pedal switches to disengage cruise control on the gas/brake pedals, or for a kick-down switch on the gas pedal for automatic transmissions.

That said - the two single-pin blue's and the single pin green under the column are to reset the EGR reminder light every 60k miles in the gauge cluster. You swap out whichever of the female plugs is currently connected with the one that is not to reset the light for another 60k.

In short - don't worry yourself about orphan harness connectors - when you find a DEVICE that is not connected to the harness you can start asking legitimate questions.

GD

i was wondering the same thing about the 2 green connecters as i have put them together and the car does some crazy stuff! alot of clicking.... cel flashing...and the fans starting high speed then shutting down in a loop. even with the car running..... the others i might be able to help if i look under my dash....i have a 95 lego..... not sure if itll be the same. are you trying to hook up the ecu? or just wondering what they all go to?

They are NOT the same and that is why you should take note of which forum your are in before posting. You really think that a fuel injected '95 Legacy is going to act the same as a car a decade older and running a carb? Not likely.

In your case, the green connectors are to put the ECU into diagnostic mode. Leave them disconnected as you obviously haven't the tools or knowledge to interpret diagnostic "D-Check" mode.

GD

I have a 85 Brat.

The door ajar bulb is most likely burned out or the switch in the jamb is corroded.

I have loose connectors under both my seats. They are the side air bag connectors. I also have the other 2 connectors plugged in, those are for the heated setas which get toasty when i press the on swith.

I don't think ANY BRAT's came with power steering.

I yanked my computer out.....mine was a California spec brat....but i weber'ed it.

Mine has AC, but i haven't rehooked it back up after the lift kit...