Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL idle RPM problem

Just bought the car not that long ago. She ran alright but needed the basic tune up so i changed plugs,wires,roter,distributor cap,air filter and the pcv valve. After the basic tune up i was taking a 60 mile round trip and all the way there and back home the rpms would rev up to 3000-4000 while shifting. Even in neutral the rpms would be sky high. Seems like there is a cable stuck. So i sprayed all of the throttle cables down and it still does it. Also the ECS light kicks on about 15 miles down the road. I have to tap on the gas peddle to make the rpms go back down and sometimes that does not work. What would be the cause of this embarrasing problem? My dad said its the carb but i read other posts where they said it could be the thero sensor. I thought that i would ask some one that owns a subaru and maybe had the same problem. PLEASE HELP.

If tapping the throttle makes the rpm drop part of the time then you have a freying throttle cable or worn out throttle shafts in the carb.

Unfortunately the ECS light you mention means you have a feedback (computer controlled) carb. You will either have to pickup a factory service manual and get aquinted with its rather complex nature or consider swapping out the carb for a Weber or fuel injection.

GD

• 2 weeks later...