Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to remove OBW sticker decal trim around wheel well

guy at yard said to use a heat gun to remove the trim stickers (not sure what they're called) - the sticker/decals that go over the wheel well arch of OBW's.

any other tips to remove these without damaging the paint?

got an OBW fender to install on my SUS - the SUS has the same two tone paint but does not have the decal sticker that goes over the wheel well arch like the OBW so i want to remove that.

Take a heat gun to it and go slow. You will end up with a ring around the wheel well where the sticker was or that color. To get the stickyness off, grab some Vodka and a rag and rub her down. The alcohol will dilute the sticky.

Here is how mine looks with the stickers removed

004-1.jpg

nice, thanks! thanks for the pic - good to know it's got a chance of looking like clean paint, should a perfect fit for an SUS fender.

called a friend (also a board member) said to put it in the hot sun and let it bake, that might get it hot enough. brilliant, it was already baking in the trunk and the first inch or so peeled right off. not sure if it'll go that smooth the entire way but that's a good sign. he said normally that doesn't work well so sounds like i got lucky or the rest won't be that easy.

• 5 months later...

a follow up - the stripe came right off by just setting it in the sun over the summer.

i was surprised that the OBW paint underneath the sticker was not all green like the rest of the fender. so for the top half of the fender:

The SUS is all green.

The OBW appears all green but there's a thin gold paint stripe under the wheel arch sticker that you don't see until it's removed.

The fenders are otherwise the same and interchangeable.

but the OBW fenders have a thin stripe of gold paint even under the sticker for some reason. it wasn't noticeable enough for me to worry about it so i just left it like that but if you're a perfectionist it may give you mental problems.