Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a phase 1 non interference EJ22 that will be going into my EA81 body offroader.Im curious about running the timing covers or not.In the EA82 camp I normally remove the covers but I was advised not to remove the covers on any EJ series engine-interference or other wise.

I have first hand experience with the covers on EA82 and EJ22's keeping coolant and oil from leaks in for the belt to run through.Ive also watched muddy water drain out of both EA82 and EJ covers after going mudding.I have also had to change the belt on EA82's or Ej22 and found lots of crap stuck in the covers.

is there any reason why not to run covers on a non interference Ej22 other that because "debris" may wind up in the belts and skip time/break the belt?If that is the only problem than I can easily bring a spare belt.

No reason to not run them other than debris as you noted. The danger is the same as with the EA82.... you just need to carry a big C-clamp to compression the tensioner. The idlers and such all run sealed bearings.....

GD

As he said. But to keep it quick and simple keep a second tensioner on hand that is pre compressed and pinned, then you can just swap it out real quick, reset the other one when back at home for next time lol. :)

Cheers R.

what is a good object to use to permanently keep the tensioner compressed?Ive used small drill bits before to keep it compressed for a short time while installing them,but they seem to bend alittle bit, so not really ideal for long term use.

What they come with when new is a tiny allen wrench shaped pin. It's just an L shape made from about 1.5" of hardened wire. A tiny allen wrench works just fine typically. If you drill the burr out of the piston hole you can also use one of the tensioner pins from a new-style Subaru tensioner - they are longer and have a finger loop in them.

GD