Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Sub Outback (LL Bean) and I recently purchased it used. It had 74K miles on it and looks great.

I noticed a burning smell....and found the grease on the exhaust on the passenger's side. Lovely. CV boot split.

I want to ask: I have a good mechanic that will replace the boot for around $65. I do not feel anything weird with the drive train at all. Someone (at the dealer) said I should replace the CV axle rather that just replace the boot, but did not look at it.

Should I just replace the boot or the entire axle?

I have read some threads with similar issues but I am looking for specific info.

BTW I love the Outback..great gas mileage AROUND 25 MOSTLY HIGHWAY.

Replace the axle with one from Autozone or subaru (use the same rebuilders), I am surprised that the mechanic did not recomend this as it is usally a waste of money to just do the boot and labor intensive. I wonder if he is using a split boot.

OK from the looks of replies I will probably do the axle.....I thought it may be a good idea as the boot had opened then crud could get into the axle etc...

Ok off to look for a good cv axle now..... I don't have much money (divorced etc.) so if you have a good suggestion let me know.

replace the boot. the axle is fine. it is not true that the axle will need to be replaced in the "not to distant future". if it was then i (and many others) would have seen at least one axle failure now on the countless ones that i've rebooted. i haven't seen it yet, the subaru axles are very robust.

do not use a split boot though if that's what your mechanic is quoting. $65 is a killer price to replace a boot, it's often twice that. he's either got great prices or he's using a cheap split boot - go for the former not the latter!:lol:

i wouldn't use any aftermarket, lots of threads about aftermarket axle troubles on subaru forums. they're everywhere.

Edited by grossgary

Consider rebuilt axles from MWE in Denver. They're genuine Subaru axles rebuilt to very high standards. And I might mention that Marshall Wolf is a straight-up guy to deal with.
indeed, MWE is the only option worth my time (subaru's pricing is insane) if i'm going with a brand new axle. i've bought a few from him as well. a guy who needs as little advertising as him must be doing something right. :)

Personally I've had great luck with all the EMPI axles I've installed. I get em for about $65 each. Brand new. Not a single failure to report.

I've also had very few problems with regreaseing and rebooting axles that aren't making any noises. Your mileage is frankly still pretty low - I would reboot it.

And do the job yourself - you can get a boot kit for $15 or less. Another $15 for the pliers to operate the clamps they come with. That's $30, basic hand tools, and an hour or two of your time. It's really quite simple.

GD

Replace the axle with one from Autozone or subaru (use the same rebuilders), I am surprised that the mechanic did not recomend this as it is usally a waste of money to just do the boot and labor intensive. I wonder if he is using a split boot.

No ebay. Advanced Autoparts uses the same rebuilder as Subaru. I have had replaced both from them without an issue and very affordable.

nipper,

please edit one of these post so there is less confusion and more correct info.

thanks