Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy 2.2l 2WD Transmission problem

Hello all

New member here who found your site through a google search on a problem my Legacy has recently developed. Learnt alot already by browsing the boards but still have a couple of Q's for you.

The car is a 1995 Legacy L, 4 door sedan with the 2.2l engine and auto transmission, and it's a 2WD NOT the more common 4wd.

It currently has 208k miles, 13k of which we've added since we bought it last Nov and until recently it's never missed a beat. One of the better cars we've ever owned, probably second only to an Impreza I used to own, and way better than the POS 04 Chevy Venture we also own but we wont go there!

The problem is... It's recently started to slip when shifting into reverse gear and from research it appears to be a common problem on high mileage units with no easy fix. It's normally fine first thing in the morning when it's cold but more frequent when it's up to operating temp. The fluid level and condition is fine, I've not tried any form of additive yet but if you think it'll help or at least delay things for a while I'll try it. Any recommendations for which?

Is it worth dropping the pan and changing the filter? or is the problem going to be deeper and I'd just be wasting my time and money with the new filter.

My main question though is regards swapping the transmission because I'm sure that'll be the only true fix in the long run.

I'm guessing the 2WD and 4WD use different transmissions? or are they the same but the 4WD uses some form of transfer box on the end?

Is the transmission from a 2.5l the same as a 2.2l?

Which model years would have the same box as my 95, is it 95-99 are all the same? or does none of that apply to me because mines just a 2WD.

I don't want to change it to a 5sp because my wife drives this one alot on her daily commute, I get stuck with the mini van :mad:

I know thats alot of questions from a newbie but hopefully you'll be able to give me some pointers and answers.

Thanks in advance, Andy

Probably not an easy fix. You might be able to adjust the reverse band but at that kind of mileage it's probably better to just replace it.

Replacement transmission's can be found very cheap for the 2WD's. They are not the same as the 4WD transmission and Subaru stopped making 2WD cars in the US after your model year. So you will have to find one from a '90 to '95 2WD Automatic.

GD