Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone done the diamond plate rocker panel?

tallwelder81

i see em on jeep cherokees a lot. sometimes on dodge ram pickups.

never seen it on a soob, though.

anyone done it? kinda surprised McBrat doesnt have this on his bad beast.

[ATTACH]8805[/ATTACH]

but more like THIS, tuffer, thicker, and with the nerf incorporated into the same strong unit:

[ATTACH]8806[/ATTACH]

im thinking that body fabrication on a cherokee and a brat is pretty similiar in a lot of ways, considering the uni-body design. and brats tending to be a fair bit LOWER, even with a 4 inch lift, rocker panel armor is something we could all use. i think SJR or HTI could probably make a real quality design, and and i bet they would sell at LEAST a dozen in the first month.

[ATTACH]8807[/ATTACH]

of course, it wouldnt be EXACTLY like this. a cherokee is square, where a brat or lego is much more rounded/45degree at the rocker panel.

I dont think it would offer much in the way of protection as it is mostly for looks. The one pic of the rock slider is only attached with some small bolts. As soon as you put some weight on it it would rip off or just smash the diamong plate into the door. Also it adds weight and these cars have a hard enough time empty let alone lugging around a bunch of extra metal.

and i think i could fab up a design where the diamond plate are seperate from the mount. like an expendable piece, easily replaced. a "pawn" if you will.

diamond plate aluminum is so common in junkyards, old damaged pickup bed-boxes and such.

enough to protect the entire lower rocker couldnt weigh more than maybe, i dunno, twenty lbs.

twenty lbs, even on a 4 cylinder asian car, is not a big deal.

if anything, its USEFUL weight. its down low, it could act as a mild ballast, to counteract the high-up weight, especially in lifted rigs that are so tippy and top heavy.

Well it may not weight much but aluminum will not offer a ton of protection. I have smashed my doors pretty good, i think that all the plate would do is help to push more of the door in because the plate would have nothing strong to bolt to. It will not stop dents. The best thing to do would be to take the rocker panel below the doors on the body and replace them with like a 3/8" thick pipe as a slider bar.

Yeah Concrete is an awesome area, and yes i know about the movie. They filmed a small piece of another movie here recently too.

alright, well, i dont have a ton of hardcore offroad experience. just an occasional 30mph bombing run through a big ol' mud puddle, or a exploration of logging road. nothing too crazy like one eye and qman do. possibly you also, i am just naming the two im aware of having an extreme offroad reputation.

i just like to be able to BOMB down some remote gravel roads, and maybe cross a creek when i need to.

and the diamond plate rockers look pretty dang cool.

Go ahead and make a set and report back, i think it could look good. I'm not trying to knock your ideas i just don't want you to think that it offers tons of protection then be bummed when it doesn't work.

Yeah Jeff (one eye) does some crazy stuff. I have gone wheeling with him a few times and im sure plenty more times in the future. Most of my dents are from him saying "Yeah you will be fine" right as we head down some gnarly trail :lol:.

if anything, its USEFUL weight. its down low, it could act as a mild ballast, to counteract the high-up weight, especially in lifted rigs that are so tippy and top heavy.

Ive had my car at some pretty extreme angles and it didn't feel tippy or top heavy.You want tippy? how about my friends 89 ford ranger with a 9" suspension lift and a 3" body lift-running 38" tires.That is tippy.Ive taken lines that he would never dream of taking.my offroader is lifted 8",but its a transfercase lift so the engine is still in the same spot relative to body as a unlifted vehicle.

FYI you will notice an extra 20 lbs on a 70-80 HP 4 cylinder.I added maybe an extra 150-200 lbs in steel when I lifted my car and now it is HEAVY-at least thats what the engine feels like.

i dont have the ea. so i have the awesome, bone crushing 110hp.

and yea, you may have crawled your car at angles. but have you done 30 or 40mph on a curvy gravel road with loose surface and not nearly enough of a bank to the roadbed on the hairpin corners? THATS what scares me. and im still stock height. im planning to add a 2 inch lift.

what do you mean by 150-200? like tools and stuff? what does a lift kit weigh?

i kinda wonder what a factory low-bar weighs.

I built a "subframe" under my car that connects the lift blocks to each other as well as providing a stout attachment place for mounting the transfer case to.the lift blocks are 2x8x2 sections of 1/4 wall steel.The sections that connect the liftblocks are 2x3x 3/16 wall.plus the weight of the transfer case.Thats where the weight come from.

Ive "rallied" my 89 dodge w250 with the cummins turbo diesel,at like sixty through the woods.I go about 50-60 on the gravel roads to get where I go offroad in my subaru.You wont have any problems with a 2" lifted subaru or any lifted subaru at 30-40 on tight turny gravel roads..

think of it this way, the pro rally guys go about 120 MPH on some sections of gravel roads with trees lining each side-harpins,jumps,etc-the cars are usually lifted about 1-2" for more suspension travel..

Edited by Uberoo