Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was driving my 2006 legacy 2.5 down the freeway about 75 MPH. All of a sudden, it stopped running and I coasted to the shoulder. Not overheating, no fluids running out. When I turn the key, I hear the starter engage but the engine will not turn over. The car has 180,000 miles on it and the timing belt was replaced around 100,000 miles. Any suggestions as to what this may be? If it were the timing belt, does the engine usually still turn over?

Sounds like the timing belt went and caused mechanical interferance. Either the valves are bent and a head rebuild will fix it or one or more valves could have been broken off and have seized up a cylider or punched a hole in a piston, etc.

When the belt was replaced did they do the idlers and the water pump at the same time? I've seen seized water pumps and idlers at less mileage than 180. I've seen water pumps go at 130 and idlers at 150..... the belts are very strong and usually do not break unless some other component causes them unusual stress.

GD

• 1 month later...

I hope that it isn't one of the timing components. But if it is, could you tell us if all of the components in the timing belt system (timing belt, 2 pullies, water pump, and new tensioner) were replaced? Also, were GENUINE Subaru parts used ?

Subaru does not recommend mandatory replacement of the pullies, or water pump, at the 105,000 miles timing belt service interval. However, some on this board feel that all of the components in the timing belt path should be replaced at 105,000 miles. Some posters believe that 210,000 miles is really pushing your luck with timing path components.

I reached 200,000 miles with the original tensioner and pullies on my 1999 Forester. Now I think that I might have been the beneficiary of dumb luck. I replaced all of the timing belt path components at 105,000 miles on my 2006 Forester. Nothing is guaranteed, but I think that gives me my best shot at reaching 210,000 miles.

Edited by The Dude

your timing belt broke or is otherwise compromised. pulling one of the side covers takes like 5 minutes and three 10mm bolts to pull and have a cursory glance at the belt.

could be something else, but i'd check there first.

it is repairable and properly done you've got another 100,000 miles of relatively inexpensive, reliable, driving. i would have it repaired if the engine isn't completely hosed...even then it is worth repairing.

replacing just the timing belt is risky as they indicated, comes down to statistics. i don't know what the percentage is but if %10-%20 don't make it to 210,000 miles, that's not acceptable reliability for most people, particularly with Subaru's this new. no one is buying a 2006 and thinking they have a %10-%20 chance of engine failure, best to keep maintenance philosophy somewhat close to other expectations. which on a timing belt job for a car this new means replacing the belt, pulleys and water pump.

manual or automatic? it's not a manual trans stuck in gear right?