Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stainless Flanged exhaust nuts... where from?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but:

I need new nuts for the exhaust manifold studs, and I would really like to use something that won't corrode and get stuck to the manifold that easily. Stainless seems to be the way to go, but I have not been able to find M10x1.25 flanged nuts in SS -as a matter of fact I have not found any SS nut with that pitch-. Also, SS nuts doesn't seem to be used for load-bearing purposes, as what I have found so far (M10x1.5) has very low specs.

I know they exist because the EJ25 I'm replacing had them (before you ask: the studs, not the nuts, were somewhat corroded, and it would be a tall order to remove the nuts -one had to be cut already- AND... I don't know which grade were those) but where can I buy them from?

Hello GD, Nipper

I saw flanged zinc nuts somewhere (I've checked so many places I don't remember where), but with the mess I found on the ej22 I'm somewhat reluctant to use anything but stainless. How are those zinc nuts holding up so far?

Btw: I bought the studs from 1stsubaruparts, but the finish is quite different from the ones I removed from the other two engines. Does anybody know what finish are they supposed to be? I would assume phosphate, but these look so cheap...

Stainless is not really going to help - it will gall something fierce. You are better off going with zinc and treating them with copper anti-seize. The stock studs and nuts are zinc coated. I buy the studs from Subaru but their prices on the nuts are outragous - I buy 50 nuts at a time in both 8mm and 10mm from the link I posted above and the quality is very good.

GD

I need new nuts for the exhaust manifold studs, and I would really like to use something that won't corrode and get stuck to the manifold that easily.

I know they exist because the EJ25 I'm replacing had them (before you ask: the studs, not the nuts, were somewhat corroded AND... I don't know which grade were those) but where can I buy them from?

Subaru. You're in Detroit so you are seeing what I see. Subaru exhaust nuts are 304 stainless. If you can salvage any, make sure to run a tap through them and not just try to rethread using a bolt.

Doug

Great! Now... where do I find those brass/copper nuts :D Which other cars use the M10x1.25 studs? Quidam: thank you for confirming the Subaru nuts are SS. The only issue right now is that the local dealer is really, *really* poor.

BTW: the studs I got from 1stSubaruParts are not SS... which makes sense considering they are bolted directly into aluminum. They look like cheap zinc studs, though :( I'd like to think they have some fancy protection (phosphate+zinc, hopefuly?)...

Edited by jarl
Stud material

Great! Now... where do I find those brass/copper nuts :D Which other cars use the M10x1.25 studs? Quidam: thank you for confirming the Subaru nuts are SS. The only issue right now is that the local dealer is really, *really* poor.

BTW: the studs I got from 1stSubaruParts are not SS... which makes sense considering they are bolted directly into aluminum. They look like cheap zinc studs, though :( I'd like to think they have some fancy protection (phosphate+zinc, hopefuly?)...

Well, it's been nuts here:) You can get the brass nuts from the UK. Honda, Toyota uses the same size studs and nuts and Japanese sport bikes use the same size for sprocket nuts. Available in Ti, stainless, aluminum with stainless insert.

Lug nuts for a four wheeler look like they might work and are cap nuts, enclosing all the threads.

I ordered a dozen stainless sprocket nuts from the UK for about $1.25 each shipped. I've been buying this stuff from the UK and China lately. Yea, and the idea with stainless is to use a soft metal on the stud/nut combo for anti seize.

Tho I did buy a dozen zinc studs, nuts, and washers to have on hand. $10.00 at a local muffler shop.

Doug

Trust me... it has been nuts around here too :D

Somehow I don't feel like ordering those nuts from overseas... or at least not yet :) In particular because I need to finish this car NOW :D

Yesterday I went junkyard hunting, looking for an ignition coil for the EJ22. While there I decided to try and get more SS nuts out of a couple of subies I found, and got home with four nuts and four nuts+studs. A liberal amount of a propane torch on these provided four more nuts for my collection. However, of the eight, maybe 2 were smooth :( The other looked like they had shrunk :confused:

I don't have a tap and further attempts to clean the thread faileds, so I decided to leave the nuts in a jar with evaporust... and voila! Now I have exactly 6 working SS nuts, ready to be used. It looks like some metal from the studs embeds itself into the nuts, and the evaporust is just strong enough to remove it.

I might have to try that stuff. I have at least a dozen of those nuts still on the stud. You know, where the threads are corroded away. Subaru put those stainless nuts so at least we'd still have a nut intact to extract the stud, I guess.

Doug

Just to be clear: evaporust will help you cleaning the nuts after you remove them. It may actually ease the nut removal a bit, but the torch and a breaker bar (and good vise grips) are the main ingredients :)