Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How did I get the ticking again?

So Im reading that "lifter tick" comes from starvation of oil, and can be caused from low oil, and the oil pump, cam tower o-rings etc can be to blame...

I started Ned today, and hes got lifter tick... and I was like :eek: what the eff :eek: so I checked the oil, and its right above the Full mark... So I let it sit for about 2 hours, came back, checked the oil, and boom, still perfectly above the full mark... Started him and still got the tick. GRR :mad:

I realize that most would say "rebuild the lifters" but Mizpah (spelling could be off) just did that in October or November I believe (I put them in at GDs house around that time)

What should I do? I let him run for about 5 mins, and still got the ticking, should I take him for a drive and see if maybe the oil just isnt circulating well?

Oil pump I believe was brand new at the time too. With new mickey mouse seal and that red sealant (not good with names here) Loctite 518 maybe?

Yeah... umm... it's an EA82. They will tick when THEY want to! I had all lifters tick for two weeks after I picked up an EJ for a conversion that ended up being the catalyst for the EJ22 that's now in Ruby Scoo. Drove me nuts!

The other issue with these lifters that I think everyone tends to over look is the spring inside them - if this spring fatigues or breaks you won't have the correct pre-load before the lobe tries to eject the oil from the HVLA (hydraulic valve lash adjuster) as it operates the valve...

Also if the HVLA is old or had crappy and dirty oil used in it there could be excessive wear that's occurred and thus the oil escapes easier resulting in the dreaded lifter tick. Another issue could be the oil you're using. Wear and tear plus a thinner oil will help increase lifter tick and oil leaks all round.

The best solution I've found to the lifter tick so far is the EJ22 - no ************!

Cheers

Bennie

And eventually when I have the funds, he will get the Frankenmotor and an AWD swap, 5 lug swap etc, the works...

I suppose I will just put up with it til I buy the SPFI motor and put my manifold on it and the one I have my eyes on purrs like a kitten so Im not worried about it :banana:

Its just annoying cuz I swear it echoes in my garage.

It's wear. Plain and simple wear. Both in the bottom end and in the lifter buckets in the heads. With that engine there is nothing more to be done - new oil pump, seals, and reman lifters. It's going to do what it wants without a complete tear down and rebuild. The one thing you might try is replacing the banjo bolt relief valve springs in the cam spray bar. Could be weak and I never replaced them.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

it's benign, i've seen them run for years while ticking. annoying, but it's not going to strand you or break.

the spring GD mentions is under the valve cover. there's a large bolt on the end of the oil rail in the cam cover. remove the bolt and it's a banjo bolt with a spring and a small sliding piece in it. easy since you just have to remove the valve cover to get to it.

are you positive you installed a new pump? your sound uncertain. every ticking EA/ER engine i've encountered was solved with a brand new oil pump if reseals didn't fix it. but EA82's are all but rusted into oblivion here so i don't work on them any more out here. :lol:

if excess sealant (from previous work) entered an oil passage then that can cause ticking too, which won't go away until you remove the glob. seen that before, caught down around the carrier/head mating area - i guess a new oil pump won't fix that. :lol:

To be honest, I cant remember, I remember doing the job at GDs house, and cant remember if we used a new pump or the same pump with a new gasket/seal...

Its no big deal really, Im just curious how it suddenly just developed when I usually hear that the car was starved for oil or something... Because even though mine has a HG leak, it doesnt lose enough oil that I would have missed it and driven with no oil

if it didn't get a new pump then i would not be surprised if a new pump fixes it. in my experience it's a high percentage chance. i just wish there was a simple way to know for sure, but i don't.

the admin of subaruxt.com resealed his pump multiple times to no avail. i shipped a new pump figuring that would cure it, for Huck (another board member) to install and sure enough, another cured ticking, you can find the thread over there. most importantly, that's not anecdotal - i (and others) have had that happen multiple times. the pumps appear fine, work fine, pressures look normal, but new pumps solve the ticking. i do not know why.

the real issue i would guess is that not many (including me!) want to put that much money into a "maybe" on an old EA82...particularly one someone is wanting to swap.:banana:

maybe the ticking is a good thing, leave it so it constantly reminds you to do the swap! :lol:

It was a brand new pump from the dealer - along with reman lifters from Mizpah, new pump seals, and new cam tower o-rings. Like I said the only thing that hasn't been changed is the relief valve springs.

The ticking did go away for quite a while. But it has returned apparently. My feeling is that the lifter buckets are worn.

GD

So it was a new pump :)

Sweet, Im not crazy haha.

I plan to do the swap to the SPFI block and hopefully it wont have ticking lifters... I know I use my manifold, if I only use the SPFI block and keep everything else from my engine, I will put new lifter buckets, the springs and rebuild the lifters (have Mizpah do it) and a new oil pump, just so I dont have to deal with it again for awhile.

Thats exactly what Im hoping for since I dont know when the SPFI engine will be available.

Or *if* it'll be available. If the one youre referring to is the one in my blue wagon it's getting pulled very soon. To be put into an 88 3 door with no compression on one side. My buddy has learned the hard way what I meant by "dude you gotta check the oil and water every time you put gas in it until you learn bout the consumption!" Now he understands.

Viva la franken....