Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Allright...

I'm slowly -but slowly- putting together the EJ22 I'm going to install on my '99 OBW. Did I mention slowly?

Anyway... today I removed the water pump (got a new one just in case) and I found a large amount (> 1/2 cup) of some kind of sludge inside of it/above the thermostat. I'm sure it's not oil (it was water soluble), but why on earth will something like that form there? Since the engine sat for so long (5 years), is it possible what I found are coolant residues?

I have a picture of the thing but all I can think of right now is my bed...

BTW: is there any lubricant that would ease the re-inauguration of this engine? Something thinner/thicker/what?

TIA!

Coolant does turn into sludge like goo when it gets old. If mixed with any other engine related fluids (oil) it makes an even better sludge. :grin:

Fresh 5w30, crank it for 30 seconds (two 15 second intervals, wait about 30 seconds between) with no fuel (unplug the injectors) and no spark (unplug the igniter module) to get oil moving through the bearings before letting it fire up.

Allright... you asked for it... :)

The clear stuff was water soluble, so I hope it wasn't oil related. Besides, the engine is an EJ22 and came from a car that was crashed, so I don't expect head gasket issues at this point.

The first picture shows the thermostat area. Most of the clear stuff had fallen already. 2nd picture is the block behind the water pump, and the last one the water pump rotor. It looked awful... :P

post-38670-136027649275_thumb.jpg

post-38670-13602764928_thumb.jpg

post-38670-136027649286_thumb.jpg

the coolant looks different than what i'm used to seeing but being at the tstat housing it's exposed well to the elements. rust is also more than i see, but just keep plugging along, clean it up, and don't worry about it. that stuff alone doesn't look alarming.