Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you are 100% sure that it isnt getting fuel?

where did you check at? before the filter, or after the filter?

is the fuel pump cycling? (use D-check mode - green plugs - to confirm fuel pump operation)

not sure on the 92 - but 1990 version the fuel pump relay is way up under the dash - above the interior fusepanel - so are you sure you checked/swapped the correct relay???

just trying to verify that the issue really is fuel related.

no fuel smell after cranking for 30 sec... unhooked fuel line coming out of fuel filter, slight dribble when first disconnected then nothing, even when cranking with this unhooked... Definitely no fuel.

Fuel relay was dragged out of the dash months ago while troubleshooting an unrelated issue and secured by the fuse box at that time so I could get to it if I needed later, and I had a brand new spare to swap it out with. Neither makes a difference and I can feel them clicking them on when you turn the key so I assume that is not the failure point.

Did not do any further testing as I had to get to work.

Any way I can narrow it down? Can it be tested with the pump in the car? It seems kind of strange that it just failed overnight, it was literally running fine one day when I parked and then not at all the next morning.

yes, it can be tested with it in the car...

i posted how in my earlier post...connect green test connectors, turn key to "on" and listen for pump cycling on & off - best heard with carpet pulled back & access cover removed.

also, make sure that there is a minimum of 10.5v @ the pump connection - under the carpet, under the oval access plate on the passenger side of car, behind the rear seatback (in trunk if a sedan)

Edited by heartless

i dont know if you have any experience with the EA82's but the green test connectors would do the same thing on those - cycle the pump on & off

hehe, i have actually used this method to drain a fuel tank before...works pretty darn good!

the legacy pump, being inside the tank, is a little harder to hear - thus pulling back the carpet & opening the access cover (& no stereo!) - you should be able to hear it if you get close enough.

hope you have a wagon! LOL wagon is much easier to get to thae access plate than the sedan is...

yes AWD. Hadnt heard of that before.

I did the green connnector test and it is definitely not doing anything at the pump. stuck a cheap multimeter on the blue/yellow wire and it cycles from 0v to OL so i guess that means I am getting a signal.. Will be getting a fuel pump today I guess

just a follow up, yes it was the fuel pump. got one out of a sedan to replace it, wasnt too hard prob because it had seat back passthrough :) The one I got from the junkyard was about twice the diameter and longer than the pump that came out of mine, just swapped the whole sender unit, but it runs fine now.