Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would you guys buy this ignition coil?

Due to some misfiring issues, I am swapping out my ignition coil and the first place I checked was RockAuto, where an ignition coil for my Subaru was around $90. Then, I found this on ebay... it's brand new but there's no info about the part brand or anything. The price is $37, a lot less than most other places. Would you guys trust this part? Is there a lot of difference in quality in ignition coils depending on brand?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IGNITION-COIL-PACK-SUBARU-IMPREZA-2-2L-2-5L-NEW-CAR-/230651170309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item35b3e18e05#ht_3464wt_1165

The car is a 97 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT. However, the coil that is SUPPOSED to be in my car (which has the male ends) is not the one it was manufactured with. Instead, my car has the older ignition coil with the female ends (like the one in the link in my post above). I thought they were interchangeable so I bought a typical 97 Legacy coil (male ends) and it wouldn't fit onto my intake manifold. Why my car was made with the other coil type is a mystery to me...

The car is a 97 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT. However, the coil that is SUPPOSED to be in my car (which has the male ends) is not the one it was manufactured with. Instead, my car has the older ignition coil with the female ends (like the one in the link in my post above). I thought they were interchangeable so I bought a typical 97 Legacy coil (male ends) and it wouldn't fit onto my intake manifold. Why my car was made with the other coil type is a mystery to me...

I had the same problem with my 97. The dealership wouldn't believe me that i needed one with female ends.

yep , same thing with my car a 97 legacy outback. the coil from a 96 works just fine. my legacy was actually built in november of 96 , i've always wondered if that had something to do with it. some kind of oversite at the factory maybe. curtis

p.s. i agree that oem would be better. that's actually what i bought at the junk yard. one out of a 96 of course. but with the one year warranty on that one....what the hell? go for it.

I purchased one off of E-Bay about 4 or 5 months ago, brand new still wrapped in plastic wrap for $38.95+ shipping! I have not had a single problem with it and it doesn't bite me when I touch it like the old one did! go for it, if it works it works!:banana:

i've said it before and i'll say it again...... some people are always crying "oem oem it's got to be oem" , that's hog wash in my opinion. yes , sometimes i do buy oem sometimes i don't. some people would have you believe that these cars are the most finnicky things on four wheels. i assure , they aren't. my car's full of after market parts , and it runs fine. curtis

i've said it before and i'll say it again...... some people are always crying "oem oem it's got to be oem" , that's hog wash in my opinion. yes , sometimes i do buy oem sometimes i don't. some people would have you believe that these cars are the most finnicky things on four wheels. i assure , they aren't. my car's full of after market parts , and it runs fine. curtis

I have a lot of aftermarket parts on my Subies. My dealer is not convenient to go to, and auto parts stores are conveniently nearby. If you buy the middle, to the top of the line parts at a parts store, they are good. Where trouble lies is in buying the low line cheapie parts they sell. The cheapie stuff doesn't hold up in my opinion, and results in some anti parts store negative press. BTW, anything made by Bosch has worked well in my Subies.

Also, I have the impression that people on this forum that continually cry, almost demand that you buy OEM replacement parts exclusively, may be people employed by Subaru, or working at a Subaru dealer. If so, I can understand their bias. I think Subaru financially supports this forum, so I can understand their plugging their parts.