Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LED lights?

I was recommended to check out "superbrightleds.com"

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124088

Theres some bashing on me for wanting tinted taillights :eek:

But my tail lights arent even that dark :rolleyes: so although I may get those bulbs soon, its not necessary for me..

They seem to have really good prices for what youre getting :)

don't assume that everything on superbrightleds are actually superbright. I bought the cheapest ones for my celica, and they were not bright enough for primary use. customer service was great, and I was able to return them. I'd buy again, but don't cheap out on your marker lights.

I recently bought LED dome lights for my 4runner from autolumination.com. They're site is a little harder to navigate, but a great selection and good prices.

and for custom applications, check out oznium.com

I did a custom dome light and map light each having their own LED driver's.. the dome light it's self is more then bright enough for the whole car

I'm kicking myself still I did not take my rear tail lights off my Legacy they were JDM taillights.

I was going to do custom rear turn signals but having issues trying to figure out how to do the dual brightness with the headlights on since the driver will always want to do the same voltage output.

you could build a pwm circuit to dim them. Just search around online.

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to use them for the tail/brake corner lights and the trunk mounted brake light in my 87 GL. I have a voltage meter in the dash and with my headlights on, radiator fan and cabin fan running the voltage drops below 12v when I step on the brake. I'll also be doing the maxima alternator mod, but LED conversions are also really cool :).

I guess my question really is how bright are specific bulb conversions and will they be adequate to be safe even in sunlight?

I've seen really bright LED lights on fancy busses and bmw's, etc... so I'm sure they're out there. What is available to us that would just insert where the bulb used to be?

right on. What about wiring? Are resistors built into these bulbs or do I need to add one in series with each bulb?

And, should I get red leds to put in my red lens tail lamps or white leds?

Edited by kanurys

right on. What about wiring? Are resistors built into these bulbs or do I need to add one in series with each bulb?

And, should I get red leds to put in my red lens tail lamps or white leds?

It depends. With the LED's in my front signals they blink fast because of the different wattage. I could put a resistor in, but the quicker flashing doesnt bother me.

I would use the red bulbs for the brakes and white for signals.

They have the resistor required to make the LED work, but not to make the flasher work. There are resistors to mimic the load of a traditional light so your flasher works properly, but that would defeat the purpose of running LEDs (lower draw). Just get a flasher designed for LEDs

I have seen people run a small light in parallel with LED turn signals to get the right speed.

on my offroader I am thinking about replacing the stock taillights with a set of LED trailer lights mounted higher and further inboard because I keep breaking the housings...

at superbrightleds make sure to get the 18 LED or 45 LED tower lights.They have lots of radial mounted LED's so the light reflects and fills up the housing with light.otherwise LED's tend to create a "hot spot" of light directly in front of the LED..

Edited by Uberoo

I'm in the process of making LED tailights for my XT6 and have figured out how to make them, and to make them sequential like the new Mustangs:banana:

Now this is cool. You will show everyone how to do this right :lol: That's killer man, can't wait to see it!

If you want to find out what resistor to use to make the lights not flash fast, just measure the resistance of the light that is currently in the socket. All lights have some resistance, and this will tell you about what size resistor to get, well at least get you in the ball park.

I'm in the process of making LED tailights for my XT6 and have figured out how to make them, and to make them sequential like the new Mustangs:banana:

Holy balls, you've gotta share how you setup the sequencing. I've been looking high and low for a way, but most of them are either expensive or are complicated diy setups with a dozen relays and diodes.

I'm making homemade LED tail/brake/rev/turn signal lights for my GLW. So far, got one of my turn signals done. Used about 45 white bulbs in it, in rows of 4 in series with an 82 ohm resistor. Now I've gotta convert my turn signal flasher relay from the stupid comboswitch to a standard flasher that's electronic and not thermal, cause right now it flashes about 40 times a sec.