Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2x4 square tubing for rocker replacement/sliders. ??

subie94

(thought i'd put this in the offroad section,but maybe belongs in different section)

I did it on my Jeep Cherokee when the rockers were to rotted to be patched.i didn't know if anyone here has done it with a Subaru (or thought of doing it)

post-9465-136027649344_thumb.jpg

post-9465-136027649349_thumb.jpg

I've thought about replacing my rockers with square tube, but I'm going the direction of sliders. I'm using 1 1/2" 3/16" wall square tube. Subarus are light and don't need the heavy stuff, like on my XJ, which I'm using 3x3 1/4" wall square tube.

I'm making both sliders connect near the front and back with two pieces that then bolt onto my lift blocks and bolt to the bottom of the pan somewhere...haven't gotten that far yet.. Then it will bolt or get welded into the front skids for the motor and tranny, which will get tied to the front bumper it will also probably tie into the rear bumper and rear diff. Then the skids get tubes that follow the profile of the fender openings to both the front and rear bumpers, which will also act as fender flares. Basicly I'm making a unibody stiffiner similair to how you would on an XJ. I'll be able to take serious hits from any angle and all the force will be transmitted to the entire car evenly instead of one area.

If you do decide to welding new rockers please post pics and progress!

The problem is you don't have a frame to hook to like you do on the jeep but like the idea!

XJ(cherokee's) don't have a frame and rock sliders can be bolted right on to the unibodies. XJ's have frame sections in the unibodies, just like subarus, that are fairly easy to work with, thats why I'm using an XJ approach to a Subaru. It works:grin:

yea the problem with xj's and subarus is the unibody. eventually the tubing will start to roll in and up because it doeset really have anything strong to mount to.

in some cases it may make the doors no operable.not to mention it can possibly "taco" the roof.

I've thought of this as my rockers are all smashed in and rotted out. Just cut out the outer facing panel (which I could proly just tear out at this point.....) and weld the right sized tubing into the void the full length. Would greatly strengthen the body. Seen it done on a few XJ's.

Just not had the time. :-\

yea the problem with xj's and subarus is the unibody. eventually the tubing will start to roll in and up because it doeset really have anything strong to mount to.

in some cases it may make the doors no operable.not to mention it can possibly "taco" the roof.

The unibodies aren't really a problem, you just have to aproach them differently. XJ's don't just bend and break and can take alot of abuse before an body distortion is noticed. The roofs don't just taco either. The one thing that consistantly bends XJ bodies is 4+ feet of air in a jump with no frame stiffeners. I drive mine regularly without doors in the summer months(including wheeling) and my body hasn't moved at all. They're unibody, but they're tough.

subie94: I really don't see why tube rockers wouldn't work, just make sure your at least a little good at welding sheet metal and be sure to watch your heat.

I say go for it!

The 83 GL wagon i had, dubbed "rescue wagon" had square tubing welded to it on the rockers for sliders....Think Bratman on here did the work, and i think he had a album showing it being welded, during his mods.....

IMGA3887.jpg?t=1312854020

not a very good pic.

Edited by bheinen74

subie94: I really don't see why tube rockers wouldn't work, just make sure your at least a little good at welding sheet metal and be sure to watch your heat.

I say go for it!

i may just patch em for now and get with the guy that did the ones on my XJ.he does welding for a living but his personal welder is a small mig and when he did the xj,he used stick welding..and had issues burning through the thin steel along door sills..

only cost me about $200 (steel/labor)

i may just patch em for now and get with the guy that did the ones on my XJ.he does welding for a living but his personal welder is a small mig and when he did the xj,he used stick welding..and had issues burning through the thin steel along door sills..

only cost me about $200 (steel/labor)

Don't use a stick welder on sheet metal, they need too much heat to operate and will blow through thin metal. That small mig should work great..Keep in mined your only welding metal thats 14-20ga.. I'd use a .023 or .030 wire and run %75 AR/%25 CO2 shielding gas. Don't forget to clean what your welding too, the caulks and sealers they use on autobodys smell horrible when welded and make for weak joints. I weld for a living too:grin:

I've been planning to replace my rotted smashed up rockers with tube for a couple years now. Just havn't got to it yet. I figure 1/8" wall would be good enough and keep the wait down. Hopefully I'll get to that some time this year.

Don't use a stick welder on sheet metal, they need too much heat to operate and will blow through thin metal. That small mig should work great..Keep in mined your only welding metal thats 14-20ga.. I'd use a .023 or .030 wire and run %75 AR/%25 CO2 shielding gas. Don't forget to clean what your welding too, the caulks and sealers they use on autobodys smell horrible when welded and make for weak joints. I weld for a living too:grin:

Yeah, what he said.^

Jesse

I didn't do the work on that other car. There was a guy here in Maine that did.

I have built rocker guards before though. I used to 1" pieces of tubing side by side welded together to span the length of the rocker panel, and then two pieces of C channel attached to them on each end going inwards, then those get welded to a long piece of C channel that gets bolted through the floor with BIG washers. They work great!!!!, very strong, protects the rockers, and looks pretty cool on a Suby. They kind of need to be built on the car to get them to fit how you want them.