Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The avantage to a lifted Outback is the plugs are actually fairly easy to get to, and room to work on the #3 which can be a problem child.

My boots are not frozen to the plugs, as i can rotate them 189 degrees with no resistance. I cant get the $#!##$&*& things off. In fact i threw my back out trying to do it under the car. I was pulling and just at the wrong angle. I have has this issue before but on an upright enginhe where it was easier to use brute force or leverage or both.

A pair of plug wire pliers makes that a breeze. I like to turn a pair of pliers sideways to grab the boot, then use some part nearby as a fulcrum. If there's nothing to pry against I stick a ratchet extension between the pliers and the block. It provides some extra leverage for getting the stubborn ones loose, and typically uses a fair amount less elbow grease.

The last time I pulled off the plug wires, they were so tight it seemed like they were shrunk wrapped onto the plug. Guess the engine heat does that over time. If they are so difficult to remove, it is a pretty good indication that they need to be replaced, and not worth saving. I just yanked pulled and pried with channel locks and long angled needle nose pliers until they came off, which was mostly in pieces. I added some electro jell upon installing new wires. Maybe the jell will help the next time I want to remove the wires.

Use dielectric silicone grease to coat the inside of the spark plug boots before you put them on the plug. It's the only way of stopping them from heat-welding to the plugs.

Don't grip too hard on the EJ25 spark plug boots, the plastic tube inside will break. Sometimes that's the only way though, and you just have to keep breaking it up until you can get a socket in over the plug.