Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 motor still in crate

How much would a ea82 still in the crate brand new be worth money wise?

And yes I'm being conpletely serious here.

Sj

It would vary a lot depending on who wants to buy it. Im not even 100% if such a thing actually exists but i suppose JDM or a similar company might be able to help you.

dunno but someone has been selling a ea61 on ebay brand new asking 95 bucks for it and only 25 for shipping.....

I would say probably 250-475, and someone on the airplane community may be willing to pay considerably more.....

They just are not really a sought after engine. The cars they go in are pretty cheap beaters these days.

I've basically found one.this guy has one in the back of his shop under some parts and he says he got it over the years. It's in a crate. Looks to be brand new. Went and saw it today but didn't completely pull it out. I'm going BvK Thursday to get it. I figured I could out it in my ea81 brat and do the swap. Do you guys think that would be worth it? Or sell it? I would trade for a low miles ea81T I would really like to keep my brat original. Other then that I think it's a real great find if it is what it is.

SJ

totally dependent on buyer. this is a very small market item. if you can wait a long time (or get lucky) and advertise it, it'll sell much more to the right person.

if someone wants to positively sell it in a week...or even a month...it's not worth much, couple hundred. i'd give up to $300 for it i think if i needed one....maybe a little more if i had a great car candidate.

timing belts are to be changed every 60,000 miles or 5/6 years probably - so it's probably 10 or 15 years past due on the timing belt. :lol: new ebay kits though are only $60-$80 for complete timing pulley kits.

Leave it on the create, hang onto it for the next 50 years and it could age like a fine wine... Or still be a new boat anchor if no one wants it by then.

Sounds like a great find that might help someone out. They should get it on a dyno to see what they really put out when factory fresh!

Cheers

Bennie

dunno but someone has been selling a ea61 on ebay brand new asking 95 bucks for it and only 25 for shipping.....

I would say probably 250-475, and someone on the airplane community may be willing to pay considerably more.....

They just are not really a sought after engine. The cars they go in are pretty cheap beaters these days.

The aviation community has gotten over the Soob engine. The EA81 had some benefits, but the EA82 is just heavier, larger, and more complicated than the EA81, makes no more HP. Growing consensus, the old Corvair engine is better than either, in the 100hp class of airplanes..

I remember about 10 yrs ago Subaru Canada was selling complete with heads the remanf. units for about $300 US in those days..just unloading the unnecssarry stock no body wanted..I could use a block but i am afraid the shipping to michigan might be worth more the block...

The only way someone will pay good (maybe 500 bucks) money for this is if they have a LOW mileage car in need of a motor. But, think about it, low mileage car that is nice, is not going to need a new engine. The one in it will be fine. Nobody would pay that to drop this in a 300k beater mile car.

The block will have pistons and crank, but nothing else, no intake, no oil pump no timing components, etc. It is a block, with pistons and crank and rear main seal and front seal. nothing more. But if someone has a low mileage example, they might want it to know they have a good long term motor. So those folks may pay good money. But like i said, throwing a new motor into an old tired dog, is not price conscious.

A EA81 would honestly be worth quite a bit more in my view.

I assume you stumbled across this in your search for a ea81T block for the one you have that is toasted. And the dealers said, nope to the ea81T, nope to a ea81, but sure I got this "EA82" if you want it. I would think there are quite a few new ea82 laying around, probably even at the dealers around here who have been selling Subaru since the loyal came out.

I have a EA82 loyale I just bought for 300 and it needs a new motor. But i am not willing to spend 300 on a new motor to put in it, the car has 156k on it, and by the time I would fix everything on the car, i would have over 1500 into it, and it is only worth 800. So i am parting it out.

Edited by bheinen74