Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who makes a good clutch kit for ea81/ej18?

tallwelder81

i have the ej18 in my brat now. and my clutch is pretty worn out.

pressure plate has a couple decent hot spots on it, and the disc has some glazing. disc material is pretty close to gone anyhow so it doesnt matter, its just time.

so oreilly wants an even hundred for the whole kit, and doesnt offer any of the parts seperately.

im not sure what brand it is.

ebay has mostly 1.6 clutches.

what is a good or decent brand of clutch?

any other stores i should steer towards?

if the pressure plate has "hot spots", how do i know if the whole thing needs replaced, or if i can just shave it?

I think I remember seeing that you could use a nissan throwout bearing so you could use an EA82 pressure plate in front of an EA81 tranny.

But, the EA81 transmission only has 21 splines, whereas the EA82 has 23. So the disc will be different, at the very least.

If you want this to last, I HIGHLY recommend the Beck/Arnley kit. I've put 3 in 3 different cars (2 of them EJ22 swapped, 3rd was my '88 XT6), and they're very high quality. The one in my loyale has about 50k on it now, and is still going strong.

but it sounds like you're looking for cheap and somewhat temporary.....that oreilly one sounds like a decent option. There are a few on rockauto, but the cheapest one that I would use is 130+shipping (2 are FWD, with the 7 7/8" disc. and the sachs one says it's the same part number for EA81 and EA82.....hmmmm).

got the sachs. its DEFINATELY less solid and built cheaper than what i had. there are only 4 spring in the plate, and its just clearly cheaper in a way thats hard to describe but obvious to look at.

oreillys wants 299 for the beck. i think thats what i had, which came with it.

the sachs was 99. 108 after taxes.

but one point is that i DEFINATELY plan to swap to a 5spd. and i think you guys told me i will need a new clutch,. so why invest in a nice one now when i doubt ill get more than 1,500 miles before the swap.