Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve gasket problem

so i was replacing my valve gaskets on my 92 loyale wagon and when i was almost done i was screwing the bolts in and it wasnt even getting tight and then poppppppppp...the lil thing the bold screws into broke that is inside the rocker arm area thing...and it looked like it was jbwelded in like it broke before...so now i cant get the gasket cover to tighten down all the way so it will still leak what do i do?Please any ideas will help

helicoil/timesert is the easy fix if there's enough material, which i would think there is, and you have or make room.

the ghetto fix would be to tap it out to a larger thread size, use a larger bolt with flat head, and make your own crush washer/seal/oring for the bolt head.

clearance may be tough, which one is it and do you have room? at which point cam carrier replacement may start looking mighty attractive. passengers side is the easier of the two if that's what you do.