Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL Turbo help

Thanks for any help or input. I recently replaced the radiator in my 1983 GL Turbo wagon with this radiator:http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=272007. When I put it in, everything fit together normally. However, I did notice that the mechanical fan seemed to be very close to the radiator, but after everything else fit, I thought it would be able to clear fine. When the mechanical fan did turn on after a few trips driving it, it did not clear the new radiator and one of the fan blades got wedged into the side of the new radiator. There is a pinhole leak in the new radiator, so I am pretty confident I will need to replace it again along with the mechanical fan. Does anyone know why they did not fit together as before and does having AC having anything to do with it? Also, any tips on where to buy the parts?

Thanks!

Are your engine mounts and pitch stopper in serviceable condition? If they are torn or loose, the engine can rock around a fair amount. Transmission mounts too.

Otherwise, maybe you missed the lower mounts on the core support and it was too close? Did the previous owner install a spacer behind the fan?

If I were you, I would wire in a second electric fan and ditch the mechanical one, it robs precious HP and makes your cool rally wagon sound like a pickup truck... :mad:

I was fortunate enough to stumble onto an OEM aux. fan, but you could use an aftermarket one just as easily.