Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Loyale?

My '90 Loyale, with EA82, is a bit weak. I've looked at the docs for the EJ upgrade, seems to be a huge PITA.

How hard would it be to install an EA82T? I'd need a different radiator, for sure, but what about exhaust/cats and the ECU/wiring issues? I guess it would bolt up to my push-button 4WD 5 speed and motor mounts, but what else would have to be changed/hacked?

Not trying to build a power wagon, just something that can get out of the way...

The EA82T is not a reliable upgrade and installing one would be more work than an EJ22 swap. Because in addition to the MPFI wireing harness/ECU conversion you would also be dealing with notching the cross-member for the turbo and a complete exhaust swap.

Besides that - the EA82T is well known to be troublesome. As with any turbo it's a hose and wiring nightmare and for all the added complexity you get 20 less HP than the EJ22E which is a much simpler (and 10x more reliable) engine.

EJ swaps are not that bad.... well at least after you have done half a dozen :rolleyes:. I know everything involved in both swaps and I would MUCH rather do the EJ22. I would charge more for a turbo of either flavor but the EA82T is a real headache of an engine. You don't want one - trust me.

GD

what he said. much more work to install the turbo engine and exhaust and you end up with one of the worst subaru motors you can get right now. they were reliable 20 years ago, now we all avoid them. enjoy that loyale for what it is!

I've re-read the EA/EJ upgrade docs again. Think I'll take your advice and enjoy what I have..

I've looked at the docs for the EJ upgrade, seems to be a huge PITA.

How hard would it be to install an EA82T?but what about the ECU/wiring issues?

The wiring to swap an EA82T into a loyale will be almost exactly as difficult as the wiring to swap an EJ engine in. The mechanical parts are easy, it's the wiring that's the challenge, so the overall effort is the same.

My best recommendation short of an EJ swap would be to change your driving style. EA82's are pretty indestructible if you keep fresh timing belts on them. Revving the piss out of them before shifting up makes them move much better. Don't be afraid to regularly take it to redline. There's also no rev limiter, but the valves float at about 81-8200 rpm depending on the motor and the power tapers off above redline so there's no reason to wind them that high.

I agree with GD and Turbone... either enjoy the loyale for what it is, or get into an EJ series car.

After owning a turbo ea82 and a legacy, I would take the lego any day of the week. Move quicker, handles better, quieter, you name it, it's better. BUT it cost more :lol: The ea82 I still miss and love and will have again, but it's biggest plus is that it is easy to work on, and will get you from point a to point b reliably, and cheaply. And it's great for that. So just enjoy the car for what it is :)

An EJ swap just about solves all my "issues" with the ea82 for what it's worth. They are great cars!