Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheap universal air filter

Uberoo

I needed to find a cone or round straight style airfilter for a diesel conversion I am working on.However I didn't want to spend 30+ for a "ricer" airfilter- chrome housing,colored filter elements,etc.I also I don't like k&N style air filters either.For my project I needed something with a 2 1/2" inlet.

anyway I went down to walmart to pick up a couple gallons of oil for engines and transmissions,etc.Anyway I was walking down the FRAM isle and I noticed some airfilters were round with one end blocked off.I found a tape measure and started measuring inlets to see if I could find one that might work for my project.FRAM stock number ca8805 turned out to be the winner.It has an inlet of 2 1/2" with a soft rubber surround.so I payed $11 for it.

Once I got home I looked it up and it fits ANY dodge/plymouth neon from 2000-2005.2.0L and 2.5L which means it will flow more than enough for any of our N/A subarus.and its cheap, unlike those universal air filters you will find at parts stores.

dimensions of the filter:

style: round straight paper element

inlet: 2 1/2"

diameter:5 1/2"

length: 6"

its fairly small so placing it in the engine bay shouldn't be a problem.So if you need to make a cold air intake or a snorkel maybe this might help you.unless you are made of money...

it may not be flashy but it will flow enough air not to be a restriction on our engines and it will filter well too.besides the orange rubber surround is flashy enough for my tastes...

heres a pic

Fram-CA8805-rw-51801-63157.jpg

• 4 weeks later...