Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 82 Manifold on Ea 81

Naked Buell

Here is some pics of the mod job I had to do. It's an Ea 82 manifold. I had to grind a sliver off the alt bracket, and a pretty good chuck out of the Ea 81 PS bracket. I put power steering in my Brat from an 84 turbo coupe. If u use the t-stat housing from the Ea 81, it is much taller that allows you to shoot it backwards and then u make a smooth transition back to the radiator. I know how you guys like the pics, like me, so here you go. :cool:

post-33312-136027649436_thumb.jpg

post-33312-13602764944_thumb.jpg

post-33312-136027649444_thumb.jpg

post-33312-13602764945_thumb.jpg

Brilliant! This must be an SPFI swap? This is SO much easier than tracking down all the next to impossible to find EA81T parts to do the EA81 SPFI - PS conversion the way I did it.

This might even open up easier options for factory AC on the other side of the engine.

Thanks for the ideas and pics!

Edited by Crazyeights

I wasn't doing a SPFI swap. I broke a bolt and then the extractor in the intake so I got another intake and to my surprise GD told me that an Ea 82 has better flow and will bolt up. So the mods are to get it to work. But I am sure the SPFI would work and open up more room on the other side of engine.

• 2 weeks later...

hello my name is chad and i am doing a complete engine swap from the stock 82 out of 87 gl wagon with an 84 year ea81 engine and the 82 intake, as i just made most of the mods (6) to things related so that it would simply bolt down. do you have any dvice or tips? my intake is still loose as we spaek but im wanting to get it bolted down and start the pain of figuring out what hoses and lines goe where as the 81/82 intakes/engines have similar parts and diffrent locations, if that makes sense. and what was the purpose of turning around the thermostat housing? ive had no trouble with this (yet) am i overlooking something important? and just so you know, i am after longevity nd reliability no high performance reasons here, so stock stuff is fine.thanks for help

• 2 months later...

Yeah that's a great idea actually. I also did the EA81T water pump, crank pulley, and alternator pulley in order to run the EA82 style power steering. It's nice not having that idler that sticks way down in the mud - but the EA81T parts aren't easy to locate. Mostly the crank pulley - water pump I bought new and the alt pulley from an EA82 works fine. Getting a cranky pulley though is no simple task. IIRC you also need the PS bracket. Though the pump from the EA82's works best so you can run the PS lines to the passenger side. Custom hoses were needed to interface the EA82 lines to the EA81 rack.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder