Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What mods????

Hi, I have a 1979 dl wagon 4x4 and other than a weber carb and an exhaust, is there anything else I could do? I was think maybe a turbo from the next generation wagons.. It has low enough boost where I think it would work. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

And has anyone been successful in lifting one? I have not been able to find any suspension upgrades for it. Thank you for your time

I think a little research might be in order here matey.

I hate the search function on this forum. I think it is awkward at the best of times.

However, with a little patience I think you will find all your answers and more on this forum if you look.

Cheers

Dirk.

Maybe in just blind but Ive tried and tried but I can't find it!! I've been looking do it since before I even registered, and I feel kinda dumb, but I just can't haha. And I've looked through every thread page, and looked at every thread that might gave some valuable information to me. But nada, can find anything.

Hi, I have a 1979 dl wagon 4x4 and other than a weber carb and an exhaust, is there anything else I could do? I was think maybe a turbo from the next generation wagons.. It has low enough boost where I think it would work. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

And has anyone been successful in lifting one? I have not been able to find any suspension upgrades for it. Thank you for your time

Well in theory just about any internal combustion engine could have a turbo but i dont think it would be particularly easy to do on this model. If you want more power i suppose you could do a delta cam but even that isa lot of money and work for a motor that although is good and reliable honestly doesnt make much hp very easily. Also if you did want to do it first things first you would need to do a fuel injection swap. In my opinion (and many other forum members as well) the best increase in power for the cheapest price wouldbe todo an ej22 swap. the ej22 has no problem making 140 horpsepower bone stock and does it reliably as well.You can do some mods on the EJ like delta cams and a good exhaust and make even more. And if you want to make your wagon more offroad capable id say one thing you could do that fairly easy and cheap is to drop in a 4 speed dual range (5 speed if it will fit easy one this model) so you can have more torque to climb hills.

Well I was only wanting to make about a hundred horsepower anyway. The motor sits at right around 65 hp stock, and I'd be perfectly happy with a hundred hp. It's bot like I'm gonna be street racing or anything. But as far as transmissions, they don't give torque, what your talking about is gearing. And Im planning on getting a 4speed with dual range out if a brat. And the turbo wouldn't be extremely difficult, it would be low boost, the ea71 has a 8.5 to 1 compression ratio which is perfect for low boost applications.

Now as far as suspension mods, I can't find squat, I'd like about a 1.5 inch on the back and 2 in the front since the back sits slightly higher, but I've been very unsuccessful in finding any suspension upgrades. Do they brats have the same suspension as my dl? Seeing as how my car is basicly a brat with a roof. Haha.

The heads aren't designed to flow so yeah a turbo/supercharger setup is the way to go.

You'll still want to do a fair bit of porting and the combustion chambers aren't a good shape so you'll have to do a lo of experimentation to stop detonation on anything over 3 or 4psi

Getting 100hp reliably out of an ea71 won't be cheap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, we love that sh**