Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1st Baru.....1985 GL 2 door nonturbo M.P.F.I.

Oh yea and I cant even find a picture of a car like this so can anyone tell me how rare it is? I compared it to the models listed on Wikapedia and it just didnt match up to any of them, again this is a 2 door NON hatchback, frontwheel drive, has multi-point fuel inj., 5 speed trans. How much for a rebuilt turbo m.p.f.i. engine? 5 speed trans? Cost of labor hours?

so yep my car is a 1985 GL XT FrontWD 5speed, mult-port inj.(EA-82)

I would love to swap the EA82 out for an EA82T...does anyone know how difficult this is or how much i would be paying for an EA82T? I also like to find a new 5speed

so yep my car is a 1985 GL XT FrontWD 5speed, mult-port inj.(EA-82)

I would love to swap the EA82 out for an EA82T...does anyone know how difficult this is or how much i would be paying for an EA82T? I also like to find a new 5speed

So it looks like this?

DSC00053.jpg

You really dont want to swap a EA82T into it. Learn all you can about what you have right now and just drive it and enjoy it. Then you can think about mods, w/e.

Right you have an XT. They were all mpfi. And define find a new 5spd.

Only an ea trans will bolt in. And I think you need an eg33 not an ea82t

Yeah, that would be a nice swap. But like I said before, now would not be a good time for it.

turbone, I don't think an eg33 would be a proper swap at the moment as it definatly sounds like the OP has some stuff to learn about subarus before indulging in such a swap, but I think that would make them the..... 4th? in america.

really need to swing by subaruxt.com because the XT differs from everything else such as the ecu being in the trunk, being mpfi, belts are different interior is different, no body panels swap with any other car, there many many differences between the 85-86 and 87.5-91 etc etc.there is a ton of very specific info on there. just keep in mind what is directed towards an XT and an XT6.

that being said, run the ea82 for a while enjoy the nimble car and great milage. then make your decisions from there.

EDIT: I will also add it is generaly suggested against the ea82t, with that being said i was recently looking for a turbo project as with proper engine management, a/f, good radiator, oil cooler, etc etc a reliable one *can* be built, just research WJM's post.

Edited by rpholz

The Turbo EA82 (EA82T) is prohibitively expensive to swap and to make it *reliable*. It will cost more than an EJ22 swap and be far less reliable and lower performing. When you get the skills to do the swap you want the EJ22 not the EA82T... here's how it breaks down:

EA82T: 115 HP. Complex, primitive, turbo-charged, rare, and unreliable.

EJ22: 137 HP. Simple, reliable, and very, very common.

EJ25 w/EJ22 heads: ~180 HP. Simple, reliable, easy to build, requires premium fuel.

EG33: 230 HP. (It's an EJ22 with two more cylinders). Somewhat rare. Reliable.

As for transmissions - you aren't going to find any that are rebuilt and even if you did they would be 4WD transmissions. No one bothers with the 2WD one's. There's shops that will do it but probably not for less than $1500 to $2000. I could rebuild it for you for about $500 labor. You would still have to buy all the parts and likely that would run about $200 to $400 depending on what you need. Used is a better deal usually but those early 2WD 5 speed's weren't that great of a transmission.

If you put in an EJ22, or other EJ engine you can use the EJ FWD transmission. Early Legacy's and Impreza's sometimes were 2WD. Fairly rare though.

You could also convert your car over to 4WD/AWD. That would open up a lot of options.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

WOW first I want to say THANK YOU for all the info from everyone! I have been driving this XT for a couple weeks now. I definatly agree...with....pretty much all of you...lol Swaping for an EA82T would just be stupid...i realize that now. I still love the car overall and plan to keep it for a LONG TIME!!! Right now the motor is running good and getting amazing gas milage, but the 5 speed is grinding when I go into 2nd and sometimes into reverse. I would like to drive the engine and trans into the ground first......THEN........I would really like to convert to AWD and drop the highest HP producing motor that will fit into her. I got a lot of great info from everyones posts and realy appreciate it!! Any input is helpful! So what do you think? After I run it into the ground......1. how hard is the FWD to AWD conversion/parts estimate?

2. what engine/trans should I go with (most bang for buck)? 3. is there anywhere to find front quarter panels for these online....I know but I cant find them in any junkyards around here! THANKS!!!

Wow , love these threads :grin:

Opinion here! Drive it as is and save money for a real toy you're talking about.

You have a good , decent , fun ,and somewhat interesting car to enjoy that if you just leave it alone will take care of your NEEDS.

Forget about WANTS from an aging Subaru unless you have lots of money to waste. Enjoy having that pretty cool old car next to nobody else has. And enjoy its simple efficiency. Cheers!

Sincerely ,

the anti-know-it-all :lol:

Thanks Moosens! This is the general response I get when I talk about doing work to this XT. I totally understand and agree with your veiws but..... I know its an old car, I know its not for offroading and all.....but thats not what Im looking for. You said yourself this is a car that next to nobody has...thats why I love it. Since I started driving this car I havnt seen another one on the road......and I find the car and design very interesting and worth preserving. So why not...just cause noone else does or has? I know it will take a lot of work and a good chunk of money, but I think its worth it for something so unique. How bout it? A 1985 XT AWD with a EJ-25 or EJ-22 and a 5 speed? Ive seen crazier things done :)

EJ25 w/EJ22 heads: ~180 HP. Simple, reliable, easy to build, requires premium fuel.

EG33: 230 HP. (It's an EJ22 with two more cylinders). Somewhat rare. Reliable.

I like the sound of these two. And what do you think about putting an EZ30D or EZ36D? Just asking because I saw a video of on on youtube.

Im keeping an eye out for any of these engines. What do you think Ill end up paying for one of these engins and a tranny to go with it?