Ultimate Subaru Message Board

170° ea82 thermostat

yup, what GD said. And learn from my mistake and buy OEM (that means from the dealersip --Fuji Heavy Industries) the first time. A thermostat from NAPA/schucks/car quest, etc may cost $10, but an OEM one is only $18. If you don't want to replace it twice, do this one right the first time.

I would respectfully disagree. Being at the proper temperature is very important for both longevity and the ability to achieve the correct fuel mixture, especially on computer controlled systems. Of course there are exceptions to every rule (highly modified engines for example) or an engine that has a head gasket problem you are trying to limp along for a little while longer, ect.

The stock temp is what you should run - 192° is best for fuel economy and engine longevity.

GD

Hmmm...

...Having a the engine running cooler is better for longevity and performance.

Well... I Agree with That!

I Run my EA82 Without Thermostat since Many Years Ago and I've Noticed other Benefits... but here in the Caribbean tropics it's not Needed: Never Snows.

Kind Regards.

The stock temp is what you should run - 192° is best for fuel economy and engine longevity.

GD

yup, what GD said. And learn from my mistake and buy OEM (that means from the dealersip --Fuji Heavy Industries) the first time. A thermostat from NAPA/schucks/car quest, etc may cost $10, but an OEM one is only $18. If you don't want to replace it twice, do this one right the first time.

What these guys said. This has been talked about before, and the ea82 does not really benefit from lower temperature, especially in the "performance" category :lol: There is not to much more performance that you can get out of this engine, its already tapped out! In fact people have noticed downsides to doing this (except for in the caribean apparently). GD knows his stuff about this engine, and OEM is the only way to go with the ea82. You may think the ea82 is a "normal" engine to be treated like everything else, but it's not, and it's quirky. Do a search and you will find several threads that explain this.

HTH!

Edited by eulogious

Oem subaru t stat is 190. I have a 185 oreillys in mine currently and it causes all sorts of problems. Not to mention the oem one actually looks to be of decent engineering and build. Not this flimsy pos that's in mine right now.

100% correct. The OEM one weighs about twice as much too. Seriously, I think we buy these cars because we are cheap (at least I did). A $20 part is worth buying if it fixes the issue. Actually, if you want to be stubborn, go buy the cheap one because I love saying "I told you so!":lol:

... - 20° cooler on the coolant temp will accomplish nothing and cause the SPFI computer to not run the correct mixtures...

GD is absolutely Right.

I Forgot to Explain that I Was Writing about the Carbureted Versions of the EA82, lowering the Operating temps won't help on the Fuel injected ones; instead, it will cause Malfunctions on those, as GD explained.

... In fact people have noticed downsides to doing this (except for in the caribean apparently)...

Well... Yes! Somehow, Let me Explain:

We have hot climates almost the 70% of the Year, when Temperature reaches nearby the 40º C (Around 104º F? I'm not Sure about the Temp Conversion 'cos we Use ºCelcious only) and just from November to January the Temperature Lowers nearby the 10º C (Around 50º F?) So Keeping an Old Carbureted EA82 Runnin' Cooler without Thermostat will Help it to prevent from Overheating (Those Trend to Overheat easily here, Specially if you Run the A/C on Traffic Jams for Long Periods of Time, and That's Usual on the Main Cities) so a cooler runnin' EA82 will end in Less Head Gaskets Changed; Also a Cooler Operating Carburetor is Better; even to prevent Fuel from Boiling.

Also, here isn't needed the Catalitic Converter, so a Cooler exhaust isn't a Problem. :)

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Misspelled Word

I swapped to a 180 in my carbed EA82 in the summer thinking it would help it run cooler - nope, didn't help at all, still ran at 215 degrees in the mild desert heat on the interstate. What was worse, was the non existent heat and horrid mileage during the winter. Switched to an OEM 190 and my heat was back, mileage went up, and since the valve is larger on the OEM 'stat's, it ran cooler in the summer. OEM FTW! :headbang:

As GD stated.... The engine will NOT go into closed loop mode if below 180 degrees. You be running enriched will will lower your mileage and show absolutely no power gains on the EA82. Where it is true a cooler engine runs better, longer and with more power, this does not apply to passenger cars in general. The engines are designed and programmed to run at a specific temp range. +1 for GD, put on an oil cooler.