Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping out twin piston calipers on a 97 OBW

I have a 97 OBW with high mileage, and have seen my share of frozen calipers. I am wondering if the twin piston calipers are prone to this, and if they are, if I can replace then with single piston calipers, which are considerably more abundant in the junkyard. I'm sure I can get some new ones that will likely hold up for a while, but I'm not really into spending a whole lot of money on this car right now. I suppose that a remedy for this ceasing would be an option as well, if one of you has any great ideas.

Usually those come on cars with smaller rotors and caliper brackets. I would bet you run into something not clearing but by all means try it.

My same thought......I had a 91 Leggie with single piston, my 99 OBW has the double piston. I remember the rotor being smaller on the 91, so I don't think a single will fit on a double system.

BTW, I just priced a front double piston caliper for my 99 OBW at the Advance Auto Parts website, cost is $61 less current $20 discount, so $41 plus tax, and your old core. If there is a store near you, you can pick up your purchase at their store, and avoid shipping charge. Not a bad price. It is prolly a rebuilt unit. The $20 discount is for web shoppers only, and not available if bought at the store.

they aren't "prone" to it - but it does happen too. lack of fluid changes probably doesn't help.

doesn't sound like you have a problem, just don't replace them. better off replacing the fluid probably than calipers that are working fine.

subaru brakes are all over the place. you can *sometimes* swap calipers that traditionally come with different size rotors as the bracket creates the spacing. but then sometimes you can't do that either, it's a real debacle to keep all the size differences straight...and then various calipers, brackets, slides verses bolts, etc.