Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vibration at 60-65 mph, pulls to the side

Hello All,

Love this forum and most grateful for the advice I got from people here in the past.

Have a new problem now with my 98OBW. Has had this aweful vibration for some time now. Starts at about 55mph, gets noticeable at 60, and gets really awful at 65. I had all wheels rebalanced and had alignment done, but that hasn't helped. Also noticed that the car started pulling to the left (even before the alignment this morning), and the alignment didn't help with that.

Any ideas as to what it might be? The people at Discount Tire told me that the rims are fine, not bent. Could it be the left front caliper? Anything else?

I'll have to go on a bit of a road trip soon, about 5 hours each way, and really want to get this fixed beforehand.

Don't think it is the caliper. I am thinking this is a tire issue. Maybe a bad belt in a tire. Sure it would balance fine, and alignment correctly, but still vibrate and pull to one side as you describe.

I have had good service from my Discount Tire Store. Ask them to rotate tires front to back, and then drive the car. See if that corrects the problem, or moves the problem to a different corner of the car. If so, then it is a tire problem.

With it vibrating at 65, does the vibration stop instantly when you let off the gas? If so, you might have a bad DOJ (inner) joint on one axle. Check the axle boots for a torn boot; if so, replace the axle with a known good used one or try one of the suggested rebuilders here on the Board. I prefer MWE myself.

Thanks for the replies, all!

To answer the questions, apparently not the caliper. Replaced it yesterday, and no change in symptoms.

The vibration doesn't seem to be related to acceleration, only to speed, but I'll double-check on that just in case.

I replaced the tie rod ends not long ago, and also I'd think the alignment shop, it being one of the "$45 air filter replacement special" Midas, would've been rather happy to notice any tie rod issues.

Not much happens when I apply brakes. The moment I get to below 55, the vibration completely goes away. The car does pull to the left when I apply the brakes though, which is why I thought it was the front caliper. One of the slider pins was seized, too, but the new caliper hasn't really fixed it.

I will take Rooster2's advice and ask the Discount tire to rotate the tires around, see if it will change anything.

Any other suggestions from the forum pros would be most welcome. I've spent loads of money trying to fix this problem, and really can't spend much more, so any help would be most appreciated.