Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are your thoughts on full time 4WD?

I have owned many Subarus, but they have all been manual transmissions with push button 4WD. They were all tanks, and never had a problem in the worst of any PA winters that they encountered.

My latest car, is a 1990 Loyale Turbo wagon with automatic transmission and full time 4WD. Since I've never had this setup, I was just wondering what others think of it. On bad roads, is it better, worse, or the same as the push button setup?

Full time is much better than on the fly. Its always there, no worry about trying to throw it in 4wd when it could be too late.

You should have a LSD rear diff, which makes it even better.

But you do need to be careful on ice, as it will throw your rear end out quite easily.

Actually - "Full Time 4WD" as it applies specifically to the 4EAT which your car has is simply a marketing term indicative of the year it was produced. It is a fully developed AWD system just like any 90 through 2010 4EAT in the Legacy, Impreza, etc. With very few changes that transmission and it's computer has been used since the late 80's starting with the '88 Turbo automatic's.

Most of the FT4WD *auto's* did not have the LSD rear diff - but it's easy enough to look for the sticker on the rear diff cover.

For general driving the AWD system is FAR superior to the push-button single-range system. Those are 4WD and are locked into 50/50 torque split. Your transmission is "smart" and can transfer anywhere between 80/20 and 50/50 torque to the front and rear wheels depending on conditions. For stricktly off-road purposes it's also a pretty decent combo as it can (at the flip of a switch) lock into true 50/50 4WD simply by cutting the 12v signal to the Duty-C solenoid and causing the clutch pack to fully engage.

So yeah - it's quite a bit superior and can do everything the older transmisssion did and more.

GD