Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU to activate radiator fan using radiator fan 1 control wire?

xbeerd

ok, so i have my radiator fan wired into a relay,

i'll use a generic relay to illustrate my setup....

relayspst.jpg

pin30 - 12v+

pin85 - 12v+

pin86 - ground

pin87 - 12 volts to power fan.

fan connector

power from pin87, then to ground.

I want the ecu to turn on the fan, would i not just connect the b134-pin3 (red/blue stripe) to the ground of the coil?

OR

would i connect the red/blue wire to the pin85 coil power and connect 86 to ground?

OR... am i misunderstanding the function of the Radiator Fan 1 control wire. i assumed it turned the fan on at a certain temp?

Thanks in advance!

-scott

oh you guys and your details... LOL.

its a EJ25 engine and ecu out of a 2000 Outback.

OR i was thinking, couldnt i just run the ground wire from the coil thru the thermoswitch in the EA radiator? (*i assume thats the thermoswitch on the passenger side of the radiator?) that way when the coolant is hot.. the fan comes on. (duh)

Edited by xbeerd

The wire's from the ECU are ground signals for the relay driver coil. On your schematic there it would replace the ground wire going to pin86.

GD

ok, thats what i did originally. maybe the engine just didnt get hot enough to turn the fan on then. do you know what temp its gotta be to turn it on? i been warming it up till the thermostat opens, which seems to be around 185degrees (give or take) and then it stays around there.

ok, i guess it just didnt get hot enough then. i'll have to take er for a spin i guess.

now on the issue of this diode on the wire. do you have a general diagram or anything on how to wire it in? (from the other thread on the pot to set the engine temp gauge) i guess i just dont see how the ecu is going to see any backfeed on my circuit as it shouldnt see any other voltage besides when it activates the coil. maybe im just missing something?

i drove the car a bit today, fan came on like it should, i do think i wanna get a second fan hooked up to the thermoswitch, maybe just a 10" i can just use the existing wiring from the old fan and not have to do anything else right?

So with the 220ohm resistor i put in with the temp gauge wiring. this is where my needle sits about when the fan kicks on.

IMG01312.jpg

would you say this is good and i shouldnt bother trying to dial it in. as in any idea where it would have to get on the gauge when catestrophic failure would occur? (just based on the needle position?)