Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at buying a 78 Leone 4x4 wagon

I've managed to fix everything in the dash except for the fuel gauge, which is fault of the sending unit.

The pin contacts from the harness to the circuit board were loose and soldering them back fixed the lighting issues.

Turns out the speedo needle was bent and dragging on the black plastic in the cluster not allowing it to turn. Thanks to biffanyus for suggesting that fix.

I was able to rewire the heater switch, which someone bypassed because the ground went bad. Also found a questionable wiring job on the fuel pump and reconnected it to the original wiring harness.

I'm thinking the wiring harness that I posted the picture of used to be for the radio and the aftermarket one doesn't use it.

Everything is looking real good on this car and i think this is the first project i've had that involved more time than money to get it fixed up. I'm still in need of a ignition cylinder w/ key and a combination switch (high beams and blinkers) from the steering column if anyone has a spare they would like to part with.

I've managed to fix everything in the dash except for the fuel gauge, which is fault of the sending unit.

The pin contacts from the harness to the circuit board were loose and soldering them back fixed the lighting issues.

Turns out the speedo needle was bent and dragging on the black plastic in the cluster not allowing it to turn. Thanks to biffanyus for suggesting that fix.

I was able to rewire the heater switch, which someone bypassed because the ground went bad. Also found a questionable wiring job on the fuel pump and reconnected it to the original wiring harness.

I'm thinking the wiring harness that I posted the picture of used to be for the radio and the aftermarket one doesn't use it.

Everything is looking real good on this car and i think this is the first project i've had that involved more time than money to get it fixed up. I'm still in need of a ignition cylinder w/ key and a combination switch (high beams and blinkers) from the steering column if anyone has a spare they would like to part with.

WOW!!! Mark one for us engine retards... Im the most mechanic UN-capable member on this board and I actually helped someone fix somehting...:lol: Thats a big step for me here on the USMB... Im on my way!!!!:banana:

So I've been poking around on the car and have been noticing a lot of things that say "1977". The owners manual is copywrited 1977 (cover is missing), the door stickers says that the car conforms to all safety regs for 1977 and the reverse lights are embossed 1977 (brake lights say 1976).

Do I really have a 1977 or is all this because the 78 model year would have been produced in 77? What are the major differences for the DL wagon?

Whats the VIN number, or at least the first few numbers that indicate the model code.

You gave me an idea: use google. Came up with this: http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vin-decoder/subaru-car.html

It indeed is a 78 DL 4x4 Wagon. Good to know. I wasn't sure if the previous owner was correct because he also had it listed on CL as a Legacy (and had it registered as such).