Ultimate Subaru Message Board

eBay Timing Belt Kit Questions

I did a search and it seems most people on here are either using theimportexperts on eBay or going OEM. I can't justify dropping almost $500 at the dealer for a timing belt job in a $2,000 car so eBay it is. Now some people have talked about upgrading the belt in the kit or just not using the one in the kit. I e-mailed theimportexperts and asked if their was any such upgrade. If their isn't am I better off getting another brand of belt? What should I look for in a belt besides OEM? Any other comments on these eBay kits?

What engine are you working on?

We used theimportexperts belt on my son's '92 Legacy and so far it's just fine. But since it's a non-interference EJ22 no big worries if it should happen to fail.

Good luck.

It's a 2.2l in a 96 Outback so it's non-interface. I'd like to take the car from NY to Florida in a month and don't want to wind up stuck on the side of the highway somewhere in South Carolina and have to pay for towing, a mechanic to do the job and loose a couple days of the trip.

Give me a chance to match their kits. All of my stuff is OEM. Website link below.

I forgot to post the link to the kit I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=370536153552&viewitem=&category=33625.

Is that the one a lot of people are using? How much more would it cost to buy OEM through your site? Thanks.

order the kit from Shawn. my local dealer matches online pricing, ask and they might for you too if you need parts in the future.

ebay jokers will not be able to supply an OEM belt. use the one in their kit or get one from subaru. i used to use Subaru belts exclusively on interference engines but have been using the aftermarket belts for a few years now (i flip them and work on other peoples soobs too). Subaru belts aren't that expensive either, sounds like that's the best bet for you. if you're worried that much about a breakdown, put the old belt in your trunk just in case. :lol:

It's a 2.2l in a 96 Outback so it's non-interface. I'd like to take the car from NY to Florida in a month
i have over 60,000 miles (it's past due) on my ebay timing kit/belt in my 96 legacy. it's driven from WV to New Orleans twice, Georgia, Indiana and a ton of shorter trips. I travel a lot, breaking down is not an option.

two weeks ago I installed one of the Ebay kits on my 99 SUS and left the next day for a 2,000 mile round trip to Florida. i wasn't worried about it.

i would imagine the ebay kits have a %1 or something higher failure rate (i'm making that up), but it comes down to risks and percentages, there's no way to completely remove uncertainty. one guy could have a subaru belt break and another might have the ebay kits go over their limit. but the Subaru's are probably a slightly higher bet.

Is this your first timing belt replacement? I just recently replaced a timing belt for my first time. It was very nice to have a genuine Subaru timing belt that I knew for certain was the correct belt and had accurate timing marks. Whatever the price difference was between the Subaru belt and an aftermarket belt, it was worth it to me. I didn't want to get halfway into the job and then find out that I had a wrong part.

Edited by The Dude

Whatever the price difference was between the Subaru belt and an aftermarket belt, it was worth it me. I didn't want to get halfway into the job and then find out that I had a wrong part.
i think we are all on the same page as you there, i think this is mostly about the pulleys and tensioners.

I just used this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1439Q2el2649QQitemZ360363246017QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

The only issue that I had with it was that the spacer for the bolt on the tensioner idler is too short. You need to use the original one. GD mentioned that in another post . The belt seemed wimpy, and there are no timing marks on it. But the idlers and seals are just fine.

When you do the job, go to the dealer and get the water pump gasket, cam support o ring for the drivers side head(there isn't one on the pass. side one) and the o ring that's behind the oil pump if you get into it that far. They're not expensive at all. Also a great time to replace the valve cover gaskets.

Actually there is one on the passenger side--it's at the rear of the head toward the firewall. But good suggestions.

Correct, same o ring, but there isn't a cam support ;).

When I went to the dealer to get them, I asked for "the cam support O rings" and the man gave me two just as I asked. Used to the EA82, I stood there scratching my head for a moment wondering why he gave me two! Until I washed the engine when I got it back together and seen the cover on the back of the head! "Oh yeah, that's where it goes" :lol:

I thought that cover on the pass side head was only on the early EJ.....

I just used this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1439Q2el2649QQitemZ360363246017QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

The only issue that I had with it was that the spacer for the bolt on the tensioner idler is too short. You need to use the original one. GD mentioned that in another post . The belt seemed wimpy, and there are no timing marks on it. But the idlers and seals are just fine.

When you do the job, go to the dealer and get the water pump gasket, cam support o ring for the drivers side head(there isn't one on the pass. side one) and the o ring that's behind the oil pump if you get into it that far. They're not expensive at all. Also a great time to replace the valve cover gaskets.

I ordered from that same guy my water pump was not GMB but Artix wells not sure if it's a DOHC thing but mine had belt markings

I had problems with the tensioner idler as well you need to use the sleeve and bolt from the old one so don't throw it out with the trash!

The issue with mine was the sleeve was too fat and the bolt was threaded the whole length and not half like the OEM.

Other then that everything else was fine.

• 2 months later...
I use Mitzumo auto on ebay. The lady whom I deal with is Helen. The kit has GMB pump, nsk pulleys, and mitsuboshi (OEM). The Mitsuboshi belts are $10 extra.

I'm a noob, Are those good companies or OEM suppliers ? Jap or China?

I didn't trust the eBay kits on my dohc 2.5 but didn't want to pay for oem. I went with a complete gates kit. Belt and all idlers. Then picked up a gates water pump. Whole thing was about 150. Get the pn from the gates website, then look on eBay. It will save you money. BTW. The gates kit had oem jap bearings in the idlers and the belt was perfect.

I didn't trust the eBay kits on my dohc 2.5 but didn't want to pay for oem. I went with a complete gates kit. Belt and all idlers. Then picked up a gates water pump. Whole thing was about 150. Get the pn from the gates website, then look on eBay. It will save you money. BTW. The gates kit had oem jap bearings in the idlers and the belt was perfect.

Thanks, What is meant by belt was perfect?

his link is in his ''signature''. it is at the bottom of every one of his posts. if you can not see it you need to go to the CP tab at the top of the page and adjust your settings so you can see ''signatures''.

Thanks John, Just did the CP & see the timing belt info, in your sig now, which is terrific! because I'll be doing the task shortly!