Ultimate Subaru Message Board

okay...I have 2 things going on here (or maybe just one)

96 legacy 2.5 sedan

For about a year, the temp gauge was only reading maybe 1/4 way up the scale. Infared shot of hoses shows actual temp is fine compared with my other soob. What sensor is this that is shot and how to identify it? (1 wire or 2)

Too lazy to have swapped one yet

Today the cel lite came on for the first time and scan tool says PO115 (temp sensor malfunction)

Is this the same exact sensor or is it the other one?

thanks in advance

What sensor is this that is shot and how to identify it? (1 wire or 2)

Today the cel lite came on for the first time and scan tool says PO115 (temp sensor malfunction)

Is this the same exact sensor or is it the other one?

thanks in advance

no, the one wire sensor is for the instrument panel gauge, ghe two wire sensor is for the actual engine temp going to the ECU.

there is a chance your t-stat has been modified . i would check it.

no, the one wire sensor is for the instrument panel gauge, ghe two wire sensor is for the actual engine temp going to the ECU.

there is a chance your t-stat has been modified . i would check it.

ok...so the 1 wire sender has been bad for awhile since the gauge has not been reading right for a year

The t-stat is a newer OEM so that is fine--and as i said, i did an infared reading months ago and the water temp is fine/normal

what does the PO115 indicate is wrong? Is this indicating the 2 wire sensor or what?

It is telling you that the two wire sensor is bad. That one will effect the running of the car as the computer sets the fuel mixture based on the engine temp. Replace them both and be done with it. If you want a set of used ones, let me know.

ok...so the 1 wire sender has been bad for awhile since the gauge has not been reading right for a year

The t-stat is a newer OEM so that is fine--and as i said, i did an infared reading months ago and the water temp is fine/normal

what does the PO115 indicate is wrong? Is this indicating the 2 wire sensor or what?

CEL codes must be generic amongst car manufacturers. If you do a google search, and type in "PO115" there are numerous websites that discuss the meaning of that code. Try this, and you will see what I mean.