Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok. I just did an emergency outback build for my friend whos car was totaled when someone t-boned him...ruptured spleen..life flight...couple days in hospital. So the car I built him was a basket case project 96 OBW that I bought in the spring from someone who didn't finish their winter project. I replaced the engine with a 96-98 2.2 that was in the trunk when I bought the car. I resealed the engine and did timing belt,water pump, idlers etc.

These are the problems:

-car has a what seems to be a dead miss in cyl 3 (CEL Flashing and lots o shaking)

-major torqubind

To correct the miss is replaced #3 wire with new looking used ones ( did this 2x), swapped out the coil pack, swapped out plug (did this 2x) and swapped out injector. I did a compression test on #1 and #3( both 175), tested for pulse at #1&3 injector plugs( both were pulsing the same). sprayed starting fluid around intake to look for vacuum leak. ( no change in idle)

Any thoughts/things I'm missing?

The torque bind stopped when I put in the FWD fuse...I cant remember what it means when the fuse cures the issue.

FWD fuse cures torque bind = Duty-C is working. = flush tranny multiple times and possibly add Trans-X.

Try replacing the ignitor - see if that cures the cylinder miss.

GD

+1

Do the drain and fill 3 times routine (search for it if you are not familiar) and that might help the torque bind... If it doesn't, find a trans out of a JY with a warranty and slap that in.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how you're checking for pulse at the injector plugs, but if you're using a DMM or a "Noid" light, remember that both of those don't really draw any current. A high resistance in the wiring leading to the injector can result in a blinking noid light or a good reading on a dmm, but won't pass enough current to open an injector which is something 10-20 ohms.

Plug a spare loose injector into the harness and make sure you can hear/feel it clicking.

Also, if the ECM detects uncontrolled idle speed, it kills the output to one cylinder's injector as a safety measure. Do you have any CELS for the IAC?

good luck,

Nathan