Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Frankendistributor?

I want to remap the timing on my EA82T a bit. My boost of 1 BAR requires quite a bit of timing retard, but if I set the static timing back then the off-boost suffers. My idea is to use a vac advance disty with the guts from my hotwire MAF disty. I can then repurpose the vac advance to be a boost retard.

Has anyone tried this? Is there a chance the guts of an '88 disty would fit an '86 disty, and allow the vacuum advance diaphram to be mounted?

The hot-wire MAF disty is only an optical crank sensor and nothing more - it has no mechanical advance inside it nor the two-peice shaft that would be require to have the distributor mechanically alter the timing. It might be possible to fit the CAS into the '86 disty body but it surely won't be fun to do it.

I understand what you want to do.... but I think it would be easier to just run something like MegaSquirt that would allow you to remap your timing to be "high boost aware" while keeping the whole ignition advance/retard in software where it belongs with EFI :).

GD

The two piece shaft is used for the mechanical advance I guess? I don't want that. The vacuum advance moves the plate the pickup is on I think? I need to find a pic of the older ones.

I think I can make something work. A little lathe work sounds easier than all that wiring for MS.

I actually have an MS from an old project. I wish it had WbO2 and boost control.

The two piece shaft is used for the mechanical advance I guess? I don't want that. The vacuum advance moves the plate the pickup is on I think? I need to find a pic of the older ones.

I think I see what you mean - have the vacuum advance move the plate that the CAS pickup is attached to. It may be possible. Though I would not want to be the guy assigned the task of making it work :).

I think I can make something work. A little lathe work sounds easier than all that wiring for MS.

I actually have an MS from an old project. I wish it had WbO2 and boost control.

The newer MS does boost control, launch control, ignition, etc. I'm pretty sure there is a WB module for it.... or you could always write one ;)

What version is the one you have?

GD

• 4 weeks later...

I took apart the distributor and had a look inside. It uses an optical sensor with a perforated spinning wheel. There are two signal outputs, one that outputs 360 counts per revolution, and another output that has 4 counts per revolution with one of them having a longer duty cycle.

The MSD box I was looking at is the 5462. It looks like they go for around $150 on eBay. This would be connected to the ignition coil itself. I would be running it at the limit as it can only handle 15 PSI of boost.