Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is the special "cam tool" really required for doing DOHC TURBO timing belt??

planning on doing my timing belt this weekend along with tensioner, seals, waterpump, idler pulleys, etc.. the haynes manual i picked up today says to get a special cam tool to hold the two cam sprockets together so they wont move and chance bending the valves.. is that really necessary, or is there a different tool/trick i can use instead. thanks in advance

Edited by themoneypit

i had posted looking for the torque specs, but bought a manual instead. so anyone know a good trick for holding the two cams on each side together instead of buying a tool for it?? also, if im removing them to do the seals, then nothing is holding them once the sprocket is off. so not really sure this tool is needed. i plan on loosening all the sprocket bolts slightly before i remove the belt, and torqueing them once the new belt is on, so any help or tips on this would be appreciated.

If you take off the valve cover, there is a hex section on the cam you can put a wrench on for a counter hold when tightening and loosening the cam bolt.

Line up the timing marks before removing the belt and the pistons are low in the block. If you move 1 cam at a time away from the marks, there won't be any interference.

If you take off the valve cover, there is a hex section on the cam you can put a wrench on for a counter hold when tightening and loosening the cam bolt.

Line up the timing marks before removing the belt and the pistons are low in the block. If you move 1 cam at a time away from the marks, there won't be any interference.

ok nice, good to know, prob wouldnt hurt to throw on a set of vc gaskets anyhow while im there... i hear the turbo puts a hurting on the passenger side one anyways. ill pick up a set

this is an 05 baja turbo btw