Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A recharge takes about 3 cans right? My charge must of leaked out the high pressure line with the o-ring on the compressor.. I went to turn the AC on after I did the headgaskets and I noticed the compressor did not kick in, that's when I later saw the traces of oil around the port.. Now lucky I still have some left over AC o-rings but since I have to recharge I might as well do the dryer as well..

Last year was painful in the winter without AC help clearing the windows... I sure as heck don't want to wait that long..

lol and I thought I would not have any more use for my manifold gauges and vacuum pump.

If you have traces of fluid around the port, why not suspect the port of leaking?

because from what I looked and searched around here the o-rings that are on the lines that go to the compressor are prone to leak.. heck it hissed when I went to move the compressor out of the way when I pulled my motor.

*edit

3 cans should be enough

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Valves leak too, why go for the common solution when there is a potential obvious one?

The Oring leak may have been caused by you from stressing the fittings.

How do you plan on evacuating the system? Do you have pressure gauges?

I have a friend with a evacuation system.. first I have to see how much pressure is in the system with my manifold gauges, I wont be able to get around to that until Monday at least.

the leak is really only at the fitting because when it did hiss i had to tighten the bolt just a bit more and it stopped.. and if it's anything like my 95 legacy the o-rings were shot.

What do you mean by "the valve"?

The valve is the schrader valve. It is the spring loaded plunger that screws down inside both low and high ports. With a special tool, the valve unthreads and can be removed. A counter guy at a parts store will sell you the tool and replacement valves. They are cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to say I finally got around to charging the system yesterday I replaced the dryer at the same time for reference the pressure switch is 27 mm.

replaced the O-rings and that was it.. I did a hour for the vacuum pull and waited 10 min for any change of loss of vacuum which was none, I did the part of the charge filling the high side with liquid by inverting the can did that till it got to 20 Psi, then I did the rest on the low side for vapor (valve pointed up) and I filled with two cans (23 oz)

Now I don't have the book in front of me but I took two temps ambient air temp was around 80 F and air out of the vents was 53 F Which seems to be about right.