Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at '85-90 gl wagons......

I live in Costa Rica where all cars are very expensive and I am looking for a wagon here w/4wd and low-range. The years I can afford are pre-legacy 85-89era and was looking for any advice what to look for or avoid. I have found an 88 automatic that looks like dual belts and fi w/160k (OHC and poss turbo?) but evidently the trans is bad, for $600 - good body and interior to use for a donor possibly and how hard to change out trans or use that engine in a manual wagon? Also a 87 GL in nice shape w/ 150k for $1600 (just to give you an idea). I am an old wrench with lots of experience with everything from lawnmowers to 520 cubic inch turbocharged Continental and Lycoming aircraft engines. My dad owned an '80 wagon and then the first year with low-range transfer (81?) but the Subaru earned my respect...and now I want one for here. Are the carbed engines more economical for upkeep vs the fi engines...problems? What year did the -81 engines go to the -82 model and what about transmissions (I prefer the 5spd). Will the '88 auto wagon have a 3.70 axel and what about a turbo? I have only looked at pictures on the Costa Rican online site of vehicles for sale and wanted to get some more info before spending hours in traffic to go see junk that I shouldn't get interested in. I really appreciate any help and like what I see on this forum. Thanks much!

Good times!

Bruce

Avoid turbo's & automatics. FI is a good thing. Nothing wrong with the ea82 engines other than many places of potential oil leaks. IMO the most desirable ea82 series is a 1988 GL wagon, hi/lo trans, SPFI, and usually nicely appointed (for a late 80's econobox). Buy one, make sure the timing belts are good. While your in there remove ALL pieces of the t-belt covers (it'll make regular maintenance in there much easier). May want to replace the cam seals and front main seal too. Check and snug the oil pan bolts (I've run across countless engines with this issue).

Happy hunting!

Spencer

Hey Spencer, thanks for the reply! I have found a '85 that is super clean and has 122k on it. I believe it is carbed but it has the hi/lo transfer. If I was to pick up the '88 wgn that is auto, what is the compatability to swap the '88 engine into a manual trans car of most likely pre '88 vintage? I really appreciate your help and pointers on the maintenance.

Good times!!!

Bruce

I've never done the SPFI swap so really I don't have much info on that. If the carbed car is nice like you say pick it up! Rather than swapping to FI you can also replace the finicky hitachi carb with a weber DGV series carb. They run super sweet, sound a little better, and provide improved power and economy. Really a good way to go on the carbed versions. Only downside is the kits can be between $250-$350 depending on how well you are at shopping! I did a weber swap once and rather than using the leak prone redline adapter, I bought one from trans-dapt out of jegs. It was for a datsun I think. If you search around this site you'll find a part # somewhere. I've even provided a couple links I think.

Spencer

Welcome!

...Rather than swapping to FI you can also replace the finicky hitachi carb with a weber DGV series carb. They run super sweet, sound a little better, and provide improved power and economy. Really a good way to go on the carbed versions...

I Agree, I Did the Weber Swap some Years ago and I purchased my K-731 Kit from Redline Weber online, it came with no Problem to Honduras, Costa Rica is Nearby. :)

I Kindly suggest you to see the Writeup I Did about the Weber Carb Swap on the Subaru EA82 engine.

Here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74206

and as Spenser said: Avoid Turbos and Automatics, Specially with the 3EAT Transmission (The 4EAT is Better but Scarse)

Kind Regards.

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your warnings on the turbos although I would love to have one...but not for my first. Are the carbed engines w/o computer which I assume the FI's do have? What about the ea-81 engines, vs the ea-82's with OHC...no real problems with the ea-81's right? However I think I am leaning toward finding a SPFI car unless the carbed is recommended overall. I wouldn't get the auto but saw one for cheap w/bad trans but low mileage for the engine only (1988 SPFI non-turbo) but it has dissapeared of crautos.com for now. Anyway you can see for yourself what I'm looking at. There are a few and I have my wife talked into buying two as soon as we sell her one owner 2003 Citroen Berlingo!

Thanks again and GOOD TIMES!!!

Bruce