Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does it take to find that “perfect for you” Subaru?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor is receiving work.

The brakes will receive work.

If they dont do the job, the car will be a spare and another will be used for the purpose wanted. This has been noted several times. If the vehicle doesnt live up to the expectations it will be used as a learning experience and still used for other purposes. There I noted it again. :rolleyes:

I used to have a VW GTi, it too had a little 1800cc engine in it, and I towed a little utility trailer full of camping gear, I rolled over many a scale to see what my weight was at any given time, the trailer most generally weighed out at around 1,000 lbs, give or take 100 lbs or so, now add to that, me, and 4 kids in that little Rabbit, we were loaded to the max.

In all the miles we drove that car and trailer combination, never once did we have any kind of problem, not from overheating, not from stopping, and for all practical reasons, that car could have cared less that it had a trailer hooked to its hind end, you could hardly tell it was even back there.

We got at least 35 miles to the gallon, and drove that setup all over the Pacific Northwest for a number of years until he kids grew up and the car was sold. And that trailer never had trailer brakes.

The Loyale has a towing capacity of 1,300 lbs with no trailer brakes, and 1900 with trailer brakes, that is about the same rating at the GTi.

This time around, the Loyale will have a brake control valve under the dash, the trailer will have brakes, and it will have an empty weight of 800 lbs and a loaded weight of about 1300 lbs, real close to the utility trailer I used to pull with the GTi.

There’s no question in my mind that the Loyale can and will pull that trailer, I’ve done it before, I’ll do it again.

I may not be able to do Warp 9 up the mountain, but then again, I couldn’t do warp 9 in the VW either, and from a truckers stand point, you go down the mountain at the same speed you went up the mountain, I averaged about 30 MPH up the mountains if I remember correctly, I could go fast if I wanted to push it, but why push it, I’ll be over in the slow lane going up the mountain with my old truck driving friends, enjoying the view as I rumble up the mountain, and going slow enough on the way down to smell the flowers as I pass them by …and that is what recreation is all about. And that’s the reason I want this car.

If for some reason I’m wrong, I’ll admit it, but at this point, until it’s been tried, you can’t say “it can not be done”

I’m not 20, I’m 50, I’m not just starting my working carrier, I’m approaching the end of it, so speed and performance are not foremost in my mind, having fun on a budget is, and I think the Loyale is an economical car, so lets see how it does with a trailer behind it.:)

Edited by Stubies Subie

I think it will do just fine. Your plans are realistic and you are taking the precautions to insure the engine will be able to handle it - new radiator, new hoses, electric fan conversion, and inline radiator and heater core filtration to ensure nothing gets clogged up.

So far the only thing we haven't talked about that I think might be prudent is an oil cooler. Since we can't get ahold of a two-row radiator.... the next best things is to reject heat from the other primary engine fluid - the oil. This will prolong it's life and help the radiator to not work so hard.

It will not be a speed demon - and if we lived in a mountainous region at higher elevations it would probably have to be a larger, more powerful engine. But given the scope of what he intends to do with it - pulling a small trailer at a liesurely pace at sea level - it's well within the abilities of the EA82/5MT combo.

GD

For me... I'm sticking with SPFI EA82 / loyale / GL 3AT 4WD wagons. I've been running them for 20+ years. For as long as I can keep them running, & ahead of rust.

They do what I need. They cost little. I know the quirks to keep them going. I can fit bigger things into them than any of the newer models I've attempted. They are in the zone of no longer having to be emission tested here.

So the "perfect" one to start with, is a SPFI 3AT 4WD Wagon, with no rust. Everything else, I can fix, no problem. Don't care about the miles. Don't care if it runs.

I'd drive a stick, except 2 things: Operating the clutch bothers my knee. Wife can't drive stick, and it her car is being repaired, she can use mine.

:dead:The SVX was perfect for me. Had all the 'problems' fixed when I got it and it took to further modifications very well. Had zero issues....before I wrecked it. :banghead: I will never purchase another SVX just because I feel I can not get one where this one was in feel and drivability.

Currently, my OBS feels perfect for me. Zero issues while running with it's 3rd turbokit. Feels, rides, drives great. Actually feel terrified of going W.O.T for any significant amount of time since it took quite some time to get it where it is now.

The XT6 is almost there. The tranny, engine and body are non-issues and are right where they need to be. After getting a few other issues fixed, it too will be 'perfect'.

I just saw the almost perfect GL-10 sedan in PA. Zero rust, tranny ok, but engine headgasket failure. Seats and interior look good, all working electronics and cold a/c. Couldn't ask for more. Dealership quoted over 2k for the headgasket repair. Was a huge crush for me!

Love all the roo's! :banana:

Edited by Myxalplyx

well i found mine 6 months ago or so..

91' legacy wagon, 2.2L, 5-speed, AWD, power windows and locks, cruise control, rear defroster, ice cold ac, hot heater, 4-wheel disc brakes, no leaking sunroof.

and it had 97k original when i bought it 6 months ago. SUPER low mileage, and looks like it drove off a showroom floor inside and out. and i put 05' wrx wheels on it :)

my idea of a perfect subaru. most reliable drivetrain ever made.

i've had 4 people in town want to buy it from me.. i kindly turn them down..

DSC02433.jpg