Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What wears out on a EJ22? What mileage?

I'm farmiliar with how engines wear and age. I'm looking at rebuilding a 2.2 and would like the board's experience and advice on what parts I should replace. Would it be prudent to consider a cheap EJ22 with near 300,000 miles? Should I plan on splitting the block and installing new rings, etc., ontop of a head rebuild?

The engine I am considering is in a 1992 Legacy and currently running. Maybe a compression test would be in order. If applicable I'd buy the whole car and strip the components I need for my 87 GL (engine, ecu/harness , 5-lug)

Thanks

As long as oil was changed at regular intervals and it never was let run low on oil, there is never a reason to need to split open the case of a early ej22 (up to about year 95). They are capable of a million miles on the bottom end if oil was changed n time. Never really hear of any problems at all from anyone on the ej22 concerning the rings, bearings, etc. That is why Subaru was able to accomplish the land speed enduarnace record of averaging over 140 mph for a stretch of 28 days straight, on 3 91 Legacy turbo cars. That engine is a tank. They pushed those 3 cars to 100km in less than 30 days, all while driving rates of 140mph average.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2007/01/01/hmn_feature30.html

Edited by bheinen74

They aren't worth rebuilding. If you are going to rebuild something - rebuild an EJ25 and build a frankenmotor. You can get used EJ22's in great condition for far less than the cost of a rebuild and they average about a 350k mile lifespan.

GD

+1

if the motor is currently running do the basics and keep running it. no need for a rebuild.

everyone values time/money/projects differently so to each his own. if it's for experience and fun then you don't need our advice or pointers on how to do those things. but practically speaking there aren't really any instances where a 300k EJ22 is worth much. and rebuilds are costly, simpler to just get a known good motor.

Thanks for the input, guys. This helps me shape my view for what to look for in the hunt for a new power plant. I agree with everyone about the cost of a rebuild and getting value out of your rebuild. I'll keep looking since this one I previously spoke of is kind of an enigma, though cheap, and near the end of it's life. I put a post up a while back about the EJ25 (all of them) fitting in the EA82 frame, so that is a great option, now, to my knowledge.

There are TONS of subarus in CO, and therefore quite a few salvaged vehicles. Actually it kind of makes the NW look like a Cadillac state. :) I grew up in the Willamette valley, so I know how prevalent the scoob is there. I'm willing to put $400 ish into a rebuild on an engine so I would like to choose one that is worth my time. A phase II SOHC would be perfect... now I have to wait for one to come by.

There are so many EA vehicles around Durango that I should have no problem selling my rebuilt and proven EA82 for what I have into it. Heck, one just went on westslope CL that looks like it was never ever cleaned in its lifespan for $200.

I have an ej22 with something around 300k. Burns a bunch of oil, but runs well. When it stops, as others have said. Not worth the rebuild. I have a 25D block I'll rebuild and keep the 2.2 heads for.

350k lifespan on a 2.2.. eh? Hmm... I'm prolly sailing close to the wind. Blackstone seemed to think so as well...