Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GPS for wheeling

subynut

Those of you that have a GPS in your wheeler, what do you have? I am looking for a unit that works well in the boondocks - good signal, current speed (for checking speedometers), GPS coordinates, and a decent map. I still will carry a paper map since the map data can be a bit dated or missing. There are times it would be helpful to know that the unmarked trail I turned on, is the actual trail on the map. Ya know?

Those of you that have a GPS in your wheeler, what do you have? I am looking for a unit that works well in the boondocks - good signal, current speed (for checking speedometers), GPS coordinates, and a decent map. I still will carry a paper map since the map data can be a bit dated or missing. There are times it would be helpful to know that the unmarked trail I turned on, is the actual trail on the map. Ya know?

I use a Garmin 265wt with the topo map package and it seems to work great. There are more expensive ones out there I'm sure... This one was the Costco special.

I have a Garmin Colorado 400t. Has topo maps and such. Been using it (along with real USFS maps) for a few years now and love it.

I've been partial to the hand held style of GPS's over the standard in car styles just for the versatility and it is more geared to backwoods travel.

Got a nice mounting bracket for it over at RAM Mounts.

I just use the car charger from my old Moto RAZR to power it in the car. Saves batteries.

Had it in a little pocket on my two wheeled back roads exploring machine (still need to order a mount for that) and it flew out and bounced off a rock. Still works great. :)

Word of advice. Whichever GPS you get. Put some of that screen protector film on it. If you get one that is not touchscreen it will most likely have a plastic screen. In the summer it will get dusty and you'll end up driving and wiping it off with something other than a nice soft screen cleaner.

You can see where this is going. I scratched mine a tiny bit before buying a cheap pack of protectors and sticking one on there. Now, no problem (Hid the scratches too), I just give it a couple wipes with my thumb.

And I should mention I had a Magellan Triton 500. Was a piece of crap. Kept freezing up out of the box and finally quit working about 2 weeks after buying it. Only after I bought it did I find out Magellan got bought out by foreign investors and now likes to do beta testing on their customers. (Found out on the company forums) Old one's are proly fine, but the new models seem to always be buggy.

Edited by TeamCF

hehe Yeah the desert will do that. I have to blow out the Soob with the air compressor every time I get back from a trip to Christmas Valley.

It's still filthy in there though. And being it's the daily driver now it drives my Fiancee nuts. Every time you get out of the car you are dirty. Can't go too fast on the freeway or it comes pouring out the vents. :grin: