Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to get this car up and running on it's own. It roll starts just fine. Had nothing going on the starter. No cranking at all. So I put a new starter in and had the same problem. Tried jumping it in case the battery had drained. Still nothing. Used the same jumper cables to test the battery cables. Still the same. As far as I can tell, all fuses are fine.

I can hear a click under the dash each time I turn the ignition. Not sure if that's a relay under there or what it might be. I'm sure this isn't a large fix, just not sure what my next best step would be in getting her running again.

Clean the battery cable clamp connections.

Trying to get this car up and running on it's own. It roll starts just fine. Had nothing going on the starter. No cranking at all. So I put a new starter in and had the same problem. Tried jumping it in case the battery had drained. Still nothing. Used the same jumper cables to test the battery cables. Still the same. As far as I can tell, all fuses are fine.

I can hear a click under the dash each time I turn the ignition. Not sure if that's a relay under there or what it might be. I'm sure this isn't a large fix, just not sure what my next best step would be in getting her running again.

• 1 month later...

One side of the switch connection should already have voltage on it when the ignition switch is in the START position. All you need to do is jumper the connections to the switch with a wire if you want to see if the switch is causing the problem. You could also measure the voltage across the switch contacts while trying to start the engine. A good switch with closed contacts will show no voltage across the wire connection because it should be shorted across the contacts. A bad closed contacts switch will have voltage drop across the contacts due to the resistance of the contacts connection.

• 1 month later...

+1 what he said.

the other thing to test if you haven't yet is the small wire on the starter solenoid on the starter. pull it off the connector and put a test light on it, if it lights when you turn the key then the safety switch is good but something in the starter is bad. probably the contacts. below is a link for a relay fix that may work without having to replace the contacts.

in my limited experience, the safety switches don't often fail, it's a simple switch. but the solenoid contacts wear every time you start the car. and there are lots of examples of those causing a no start problem.

but first you need to isolate the problem.

starterrelay repair

this fix may correct a no start issue. and in my opinion it is easier than replacing the contacts in the starter solenoid. starterrelay, starterrelayfix, starter relay fix

Edited by johnceggleston