Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2 just replaced the hg and put her back together. ran fine fine but really noisy so I bled the hla's on the passenger side. Buttoned it up and now it's running bad and the cel is flashing. water is coming out of the tailpipe not coolant. Pleas help. thanks in advance , Joe

Water is a byproduct of normal combustion. It can be a little unnerving seeing water coming out of the tail pipe after HG replacement. Believe me I know, I just had my own adventure with head gaskets.

HLA noise is nothing to worry about. They will eventually pump up and go quiet.

CEL on is a good sign, it at least gives you something to go by. You'll want to try and get that scanned to see what the code is. If the light is blinking it is probably due to a misfire.

In the meantime check wiring connectors, spark plug wires, air hoses (intake, PCV, IAC hoses).

Re-check cam timing. Make sure all three sprockets are still aligned properly. Just went through this. Had a cam jump time after a few minutes of running and it took me three days to figure out because I was so sure the timing was correct when I put the engine in the car. It caused it to misfire, but only when warm and under load. The rest of the time it seemed to run perfectly fine.

Pull the plugs and check their condition, they can give clues about what is going on.

Plugs on the passenger side smell like fuel so they are probably not firing. I accidentally left off the the spark plug wires after I bled the hla's and started it. Do you think I fried the coil. I have the timing cover off so I will check the timing. Thanks for all the help so far joe