Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 sohc into a 97 outback, how do I make it work

Rewire the outback or make custom adaptors to mount an EJ22E or EJ25D manifold. You can't use the EJ251 manifold as it has no provision for the idle air control.

You will also have to use at least the crank timing sprocket from a phase-I engine and also possibly the cam sprocket. The reluctor points are different.

GD

In contemplation of a re-wire, how extensive would that be? Are we talking a simple ecu and wiring harness swap are we talking ripping apart two harnesses and splicing and hoping it all works out? I prefer to use as much of the newer engine as possible, I don't have spare intakes, pulleys etc. laying around.

If I can do the swap with harvesting parts form the donor car and maybe some 2.5d parts this may be a viable option for me. If it is going to involve a bunch of complicated splicing and tracking down and purchasing parts I don't have, I'll just continue my search for a decent 95 2.2.

based on today's scrap price, you can get $200 for almost any subaru even without an engine, maybe more $$.

so buy this and then scrap the car. is it a perfect low mileage engine? probably not. but it will put your car back on the road for a fair price even after you move it.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/2586175396.html

or find another one of similar price and condition.

the engine is not going to show up on your door step for $150, you have to go find it.

there's at least one or a couple threads about it on here, including a guy that tried it. i would find that thread(s), it should be helpful and worth the time searching for it. i feel like it was even up for sale at one point because it still had issues and they wanted the right engine.

there's not much info or experience because it's not a good fit or worth the time for most on something that has shorter/easier solutions, so that's why you're not getting much in the way of specifics.

i would find that thread or google search, there are others out there detailing TPS issues, throttle body not interchangeable issues, cam/crank sensor/sprocket issues, power steering lines needing bent for clearance issues, etc.