Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about KYB vs. Monroe Replacement Struts for 86 BRAT

Jeff D.

I'll be installing a 2" body lift (to clear larger tires) and replacing the struts and shocks on my 86 BRAT.

I've seen a lot about both KYB and Monroe replacement struts and it seems that KYB makes better-quality product. Can anyone confirm or counter this with an explanation instead of an opinion?

BTW, I do understand that the KYB struts do not have the travel adjustment. I am fine with this given that I do not wish to compress the coil...seems to firm things up too much...this is why I'm going with the body lift.

Also, does anyone have info about coils with different spring rates?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what ya'll have to say!

Cheers,

Jeff D.

I would go with whatever is cheaper - and then add additional shocks to the front for more dampening.

I don't know of any springs that are both weaker and the same height....Once you get it lifted and you have some additional weight and the larger wheels/tires.... the springs won't seem so bad. You should be fine with the stock one's. You will need dampening more than you will need softer springs.

For the back - people who are lifting often go with the Rancho shocks.... I think they are for some kind of Jeep that fit the rear with only minor alteration of the upper bracket.

GD

You have to weld mounts to the control arm and to another stationary location for the extra shocks. Yes it would be in addition to the strut. If you don't add more dampening the strut can be bent at the knuckle because of the additional mass of the larger wheels and tires - and the tendancy to need to use momentum to get over obstacles off-road. The EA low range is not nearly low enough to crawl over stuff so you end up having to take a run at it and use your forward momentum to carry you over - that results in bent struts due to the forces involved - thus the need for more dampening. I can get pics of the one's on my hatch. I'll try to snap one today.

GD