Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed emmisions due to high HC

I'm going to change airfilter, fuel filter, check all vacuum lines, check plugs/clean, check, possibly replace plug wires(although there fairly recent), spray out throttle body, what else?

recent history:

obtained 1996 outback w/ bad HG@120,000 I installed HG, plus everything else.

now 189000 high hc, recent thermostat replacement (oem) I need to remove engine to install oil separator plate fix (leak) so when I changed thermostat I didn't add the subaru conditioner, due to me needing in near future engine removal. should I put the conditioner in?

The Subaru conditioner is designed for the external leaks of the Phase II 2.5 starting in 1999 forester and 2000 Legacy. Not required for the earlier Phase I 2.5 which involves an internal combustion leak.

Subaru still recommends the conditioner in my engine, correct?

Coolant conditioner is silly on that engine. Will not help in the slightest and carries a potential to clog your cooling system. Avoid.

You either need a new cat, or you can run up to 50% denatured alcohol and you will pass without a problem :).

GD

Same thoughts as above.........however, I think of denatured alcohol as methanol. I bet you are really meaning to say ethanol. I read a previous thread here, where it was suggested adding 2 gallons of E-85 (ethanol) to a tank of gas to pass an emission test. Adding Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel system should help clean the engine too.

I passed today,

BARELY!! ppm HC@idle 100 max:100 that's with the same plugs&wires, just did a air,oil,fuel, filter change, I'm thinking cat, o2's are recent. The way my wife drives this thing, se lugs/bogs it everywhere, she never even close get's on the gas, I think the motors all carbed up, also I have her only use chevron premium, I'm thinking for next test, reg octane. I'm a welder, i'm going to remove my cat and plasma cut it open, clean the element with a wire wheel, and weld back together, I'll do that when I remove the motor to do the separator plate retrofit, I have new oem wires and ngk iridium plugs for then as well, I'll test it in two years and see how's she's lookin.

@2500 RPM the number drops to under AVE: 13ppm it's at idle so i'm thinking wires plugs, cat, fixed for next test.