Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first, the trans oil cooler in the radiator, doesn't it also warm the trans fluid in certain conditions? is the radiator ever warmer than the trans ? i thought the radiator ''controlled'' the trans oil temp, maintained it tot the correct temp.

why not just add an oil cooler for the engine oil?

where do you ''tap'' the engine for the motor oil?

first, the trans oil cooler in the radiator, doesn't it also warm the trans fluid in certain conditions? is the radiator ever warmer than the trans ? i thought the radiator ''controlled'' the trans oil temp, maintained it tot the correct temp.

That last one is the big question- you would certainly not put the pressurized feed through the trans cooler, it's far too small and not built to withstand internal pressure. So, you'd need a circulation pump.

I would suggest using the water-oil cooler from an H6, keep the oil where it belongs, bring the water to the oil.

In the winter I think there is a huge advantage in having it as an oil-warmer, as well.

Dave

that's a good point, i wouldn't want the extra travel for the oil.

some EJ25's came with an oil cooler that the oil filter piggy backs onto. screw it on to where the oil filter goes then the oil filter goes on top of it. it has a coolant supply that comes from the water pump i think, so you might need a certain style water pump...or pull coolant from elsewhere, i forget how they work (eventhough i just removed one a month ago!:lol:) $25 and i'll send you the one i have.

that's a good point, i wouldn't want the extra travel for the oil.

some EJ25's came with an oil cooler that the oil filter piggy backs onto. screw it on to where the oil filter goes then the oil filter goes on top of it. it has a coolant supply that comes from the water pump i think, so you might need a certain style water pump...or pull coolant from elsewhere, i forget how they work (eventhough i just removed one a month ago!:lol:) $25 and i'll send you the one i have.

Same style on all the H6s.

Dave

BINGO

Yes it not only removes heat from the transmission but helps heat up the transmission.

May i ask why you feel a need to do this. SUbarus tend to run forever so this not a weak point in the engine. If you want to do it use an external cooler with a T-stat built for this.

Oil coolers are VERY helpful. They will pay for themselves in longer oil change intervals over the life of the car.

They are pretty much standard on the turbo's (as they should be). And the non-turbo's that have them seem to be some of the longest lived engines subaru has ever made.

And yes - you can't just run a cooler - you need a thermostat to keep the oil from getting too cool or you need to cool the oil with engine coolant to keep it the same temp.

GD