Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front EJ undercarriage into ea81?

ferox

Ok, I have decided that I would really like to put an AWD transmission and EJ gear into the front of my '81 hatch when I convert it to an EJ22. It appears that axles are the main issue still. I would like to be able to use EJ axles without modification, so my main question is can I modify the EJ crossmember to fit the ea81 and then swap everything from the EJ over to the ea81 (steering rack, control arms, etc.)? There would be other mods required I am sure (I don't think the New Gen use leading rods like the Old Gen).

Some Background:

I plan to give the hatch a 4" lift which should allow for some leeway in modifying EJ stuff to EA. From what I can tell, early '90s Imprezas and Legos are approximately 3.5" wider than my hatch (please correct me if I am wrong).

My build is not for wheeling. I want it to have great snow traction and clearance (via larger wheels & tires) for backcountry access, but in all honesty it will be driven on paved roads most of the time.

I grabbed the rear 5-lug stuff from an xt6 today, but it looks like if the EJ stuff can be used in the front, then I can do the rear EJ brakes like Pooparu's hatch and return the xt6 calipers and rotors and just keep the trailing arms.

If the EJ stuff can't be used then I will track down the front xt6 5 lug gear and just put a dual range in it. The D/R swap would be easier just because it has been done so many times before, but I would really like the full EJ set up. It seems more robust, and seems like the full set-up would give a nice solid ride.

Without more research to tell me otherwise, it seems like with a 4" inch lift you could adapt the EJ crossmember to an EA81. The top strut mounts could be pushed out a little with the lift and other mounts could be fabbed, or are there complications I am not seeing? I don't know New Gen very well yet.

Axles really aren't the issue - you just swap DOJ's for the EJ 25 spline units - or open up the AWD box and snap in some 23 spline stubs to the front diff so you can use stock EA81 axles. Either way that's not the big concern. Using EJ outers is a much more difficult propsition - though using the whole EJ cross-member would allow unmodified EJ axles - it would complicate the lift design somewhat and will essentially require that the front lift be built completely custom to allow for the extra width on the cradle and the strut tops.

For a lifted rig you really should consider the 6 lug conversion vs. the 5 lug. Many more wheel options that are condusive to that type of a vehicle and would not require a major redesign of the front chassis.

GD

Axles really aren't the issue - you just swap DOJ's for the EJ 25 spline units - or open up the AWD box and snap in some 23 spline stubs to the front diff so you can use stock EA81 axles. Either way that's not the big concern.

I see, perhaps I was getting old threads in my searches on the subject. I was also looking at EJ trans to EJ hub & brake assembly.

Using EJ outers is a much more difficult propsition - though using the whole EJ cross-member would allow unmodified EJ axles - it would complicate the lift design somewhat and will essentially require that the front lift be built completely custom to allow for the extra width on the cradle and the strut tops.

Yeah, I realize what I am proposing is a lot more work and welding, but I guess I like the idea of a more modern front end. It seems like it would drive better and be/feel more solid, especially at highway speeds. I also like the idea of having the axle and hub/brake assembly matched to the engine output. I plan to keep the hatch for a long time, and one of my considerations is also availability of replacement parts in the future.

For a lifted rig you really should consider the 6 lug conversion vs. the 5 lug. Many more wheel options that are condusive to that type of a vehicle and would not require a major redesign of the front chassis.

I hear what you're saying. I want a nice set of 15"+ alloy street wheels and a set of steelies for backcountry. I have piles of 14" pugs, but I want options. The 6 lug is definitely a good conversion and something I'll consider. I'm kind of fixated on the full EJ thing right now. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I realize what I am proposing is a lot more work and welding, but I guess I like the idea of a more modern front end. It seems like it would drive better and be/feel more solid, especially at highway speeds. I also like the idea of having the axle and hub/brake assembly matched to the engine output. I plan to keep the hatch for a long time, and one of my considerations is also availability of replacement parts in the future.

i have a XT6 5-lug converted EA81 running after market shocks(TEIN's) on the front....if you want something that feels solid at road speed thats it

it can be done, I could do it for you, the EJ front a-arms are different then the EA stuff but with a 4" lift that gives you plenty of room to make it work, also the EJ struts sit out further but that would be corrected with custon EA81 tops and EJ bottoms on the strut towers, I have both the EA81 and EJ car front chunks so I could jig up the parts and ship them to ya, if you came up for a weekend and helped it would reduce the cost

i have a XT6 5-lug converted EA81 running after market shocks(TEIN's) on the front....if you want something that feels solid at road speed thats it

If I don't go with the crossmember conversion, I will definitely do something like that.

it can be done

Cool, that's what I was wondering. I didn't know if there was a fatal flaw in the plan that I was missing.

I could do it for you, the EJ front a-arms are different then the EA stuff but with a 4" lift that gives you plenty of room to make it work, also the EJ struts sit out further but that would be corrected with custon EA81 tops and EJ bottoms on the strut towers,

Thanks for the offer. I think this mod is within my abilities, but I am certainly not opposed to help. The issues you list are the same that I have identified with my current limited knowledge of New Gen anatomy, so that makes me think I am not being completely unrealistic.

I was thinking that I might have to buy or build one of those spanner bars that brace the top of the strut mounts if the leverage on the front lift strut extensions was too great.

I have both the EA81 and EJ car front chunks so I could jig up the parts and ship them to ya, if you came up for a weekend and helped it would reduce the cost

See now you are giving me excuses to both: come up to Bellingham and check out your operation.:grin: I would like to see how your Justy project is coming along.

I have two other car projects ahead of this one, but I like to plan. I think this one is about a year out.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow-up: As much as I would like some EJ running gear under my hatch, I have decided that I can't live without 4-low. Tomorrow I return the 5-lug stuff I have acquired and get an extra set of hubs for the 6-lug conversion. I'll be going with the EJ22-D/R 5MT-Rear LSD-6 lug conversion combo classic.

I still think the Full EJ crossmember swap would be worthy, but not for my hatch. Maybe I will do that to my '84 wagon. The longer wheel base of a wagon would probably be better for the extra front track width of the EJ stuff anyway.

Shucks. I was really hoping you would do this and all of us here could get a stickied thread on it. This is something that is a bit out of my ability, I don't have a welder or really know how, but, it is something I really want to do in the near future. I want to do it to my 81' two door coupe. Mostly for back road access and on road travel. Very similar to your wants. I have a ejed brat I'm might be looking to sell to afford it too. I'm really wanting to do the whole undercarriage from the ej. I'm thinking an imp... I figure I'm not going to loose too much with the trunk and it gives me a place to hide the new strut towers and with a lift it really wouldn't matter too much how the rear undercarriage fits. Hmmm, Scott, what do you think?

Follow-up: As much as I would like some EJ running gear under my hatch, I have decided that I can't live without 4-low. Tomorrow I return the 5-lug stuff I have acquired and get an extra set of hubs for the 6-lug conversion. I'll be going with the EJ22-D/R 5MT-Rear LSD-6 lug conversion combo classic.

I still think the Full EJ crossmember swap would be worthy, but not for my hatch. Maybe I will do that to my '84 wagon. The longer wheel base of a wagon would probably be better for the extra front track width of the EJ stuff anyway.

If it's gonna be a street/snow car.....you would be fine with a 4.11 AWD trans from a Outback.

If you split the case of the trans, you can put 23 spline stubs into the AWD trans so you can use your stock EA81 axles.

Shucks. I was really hoping you would do this and all of us here could get a stickied thread on it.

It still might happen. I was going to sell my '84 wagon' date=' but after washing it today I have decided it's just too sweet to sell. So it might get the full EJ treatment in the future.

If it's gonna be a street/snow car.....you would be fine with a 4.11 AWD trans from a Outback.

If you split the case of the trans, you can put 23 spline stubs into the AWD trans so you can use your stock EA81 axles.

That sounds like the way to go if I didn't want the rest of the EJ running gear. My current thinking is 4WD Hatch, AWD Wagon.

It's kind of silly putting all the work into making an AWD ea81, but the final product will be sweet, and with the rapidly increasing rarity of ea81s even in Oregon, I think it's worth the effort.