Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do the aftermarket clutch kits come with the wrong throwout bearing?

nickolai

So I bought a new ea82 clutch kit from CarQuest for my five speed swap. The disc fits on the the tranny and the flywheel, and the pressure plate fits the flywheel, but the throwout bearing looks like nothing thats on any of my 6 other subies. The tranny wants the bearing to have little ears to clip to but the one that came in the kit is totally round. Looking at them both I decided it might be possible for the original one to come apart and have the guts replaced by what came in the kit, but the guts I got out of it were slightly different. Not to mention the fact that putting it back together would be a chore, because getting it apart required some bending.

So whats the deal? Did they decide it doesn't need little ears anymore? I'm almost thinking I might just repack an old stock one with grease and call it good. (I know when it came out it was still doing okay.)

hi, i think maybe they gave you a set for a 2WD , or at least the bearing , they use a separate piece for the slider and the bearing just presses onto it. another thing is the 2WD has a smaller overall outside diameter disc and clutch surface , 200 mm verses 225mm for 4x4 , or something like that , but i think both will fit the flywheel and the trans splines.

• 2 weeks later...